Peat Charcoal

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 helix

helix

• UKPS Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 02:03 PM

I'm wondering if peat would be any good as a charcoal.

I've got a bag of peat for burning in the fire and was thinking of charcoaling a lump of it out of curiosity.

Has anyone tried this?

#2 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 02:58 PM

Nope but my guess would be very poor for BP and no idea for other uses.

I may be wrong though

#3 wjames

wjames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:16 PM

I'm wondering if peat would be any good as a charcoal.

I've got a bag of peat for burning in the fire and was thinking of charcoaling a lump of it out of curiosity.

Has anyone tried this?

Ah, a well kept secret.

"Peat charcoal was produced commercially in Kilcock, Co Kildare and was claimed to be superior to wood charcoal in the manufacture of iron ore and gun powder"

I know my local blacksmith uses peat charcoal for "welding" iron. Peat is quite high in calorific terms, so i guess, it should make decent BP. I'd try making a few seperate batches though, at different tempratures.

#4 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:48 PM

well not as fun as drinking wine to get corks :lol: but its worth a try, that's what this forum is about

#5 helix

helix

• UKPS Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:20 PM

Well the peat charcoal made pretty crap bp

need to find a willow tree in need of pruning...

#6 knackers

knackers

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:34 AM

I'm sure i'm not the only one to try this, we had and still do have a couple of rather large fuchia trees, upon cutting the crap out of one and placing the branches aside for later disposal ( my pot belly burner ) i noticed the wood to be very light ( much like Balsa ) and solid too, so i pyrolised it and found it makes quite good Bp, not as fast as Balsa but more or less equal to willow, it has a similar density to willow. I don't know if Fuchias grow in GB but if you have an excess in your garden it is worthy of utilising as a good charcoal for BP.

#7 helix

helix

• UKPS Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:18 AM

Sounds interesting. I've been meaning to try some of the shrubs from the garden also - we had some large lavatera plants that died last winter which looked promising as the woody stems were quite light and brittle so I'd laid them aside for some experimentation but unfortunately the wife found them and decided to use them as kindling (as we have an open fire in the living room).

Does anyone have any idea as to why some species of trees are better for BP manufacture than others? - I wondered if it may in some part relate to the lignin content? a lot of the reactive charcoals seem to come from trees with a lower % lignin.

#8 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:10 AM

Does anyone have any idea as to why some species of trees are better for BP manufacture than others? - I wondered if it may in some part relate to the lignin content? a lot of the reactive charcoals seem to come from trees with a lower % lignin.

Very good question!

Is is the wood's low density making is easier to ball mill to a finer powder?

Is it the wood's structure forming charcoals that are in a particularly reactive physical form, more porous, for example?

Is it the chemistry of the timber that creates compounds in the charcoal that are just plain more energetic? Lignin perhaps being a significant factor.

Certainly all three, but to what extent is each a contributor? Here I can offer little more.

While I'd love for someone (perhaps even me) to get a big research grant to figure out just what it is that make some woods go "thud" while others go "whoomph" or even "shzzzzshszzzhshhhh", I'm just going to use what woods I know to be good, and try out new ones, without ever knowing exactly why. Just that it is.

I've not given up though, and don't want anyone else to. Hopefully the next post is a full answer to this grand question.
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#9 Pyro.1

Pyro.1

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:47 PM

Here is a little artical on different woods for charcoal i found

charcoal tests

Paul

2KNO3(s) + 3C(s) + S(s) -----> N2(g) + 3CO2(g) + K2S(s)

#10 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:02 PM

The structure of charcoal alone cannot be entirely responsible. I have noticed with grape charcoals that they are almost rock hard, and as powders are not fluffy and very heavy. But they react with extreme speed, similar to willow or poplar. My only guess is that the organic compounds formed by grape are much more reactive. I have tried a similar one with pacific scotch pine, which is very rich in sap - sap that does not entirely leave after the charcoal making process.

When making balsa, I have also noticed the wood itself produces some form of sap, despite a seemingly dry state when either in raw form, or as a charcoal. Whatever this compound (or variety thereof) is, it has a very low melting point and burns easily with a bright, completely opaque flame. That coupled with the fluffy structure of the charcoal is likely what makes Balsa so fast.

#11 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:46 PM

Swedish BBQ charcoal made of birch, alder and willow, is excellent, like I've already stated in another thread. The birch might not be that good but the alder and willow compensate well for it. Costs about £2/15 kilos; i.e. one single bag is enough for 100 kilos of BP(!) Making good charcoal is a very old tradition in this country.

But if you want something more extreme, the French used poplar in their BP during most of the 18th and 19th Centuries. Interesting enough, the French as well as the British military formulation for BP during the 19th Century was 75:12.5:12.5; i.e. a little bit closer to lift specific powder (74:14:12) than to "standard".
"This salt, formerly called hyperoxymuriate of potassa, is
used for sundry preparations, and especially for experimental
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#12 Deano 1

Deano 1

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:34 PM

I've done one or two tests on different charcoals, and I can't work out what it is that makes one better than the other. I've even done coffee grounds and they work, cotton cloth is rapid.

Poplar is a member of the willow as is around 400 other " salix ". Which one do you use?,,,,,,,,, do you know?,,,,,,,,. I've got poplar in my tub which is marked up as willow, but in my book there are 6 poplars listed, which one is best?,,,,,,. THE TESTING GOES ON AND ON AND ON. I love it
Our saviours : In the ninth century, a team of Chinese alchemists trying to synthesize an "elixir of immortality" from saltpeter, sulfur, realgar, and dried honey instead invented gunpowder.

#13 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:48 PM

What about this?

Populus balsamifera

Any Yanks here who have tested it?

"This salt, formerly called hyperoxymuriate of potassa, is
used for sundry preparations, and especially for experimental
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#14 Deano 1

Deano 1

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:15 PM

That Populus balsamifera, commonly known as the "most northern balsam poplar" is pretty much the same tree as the "western balsam poplar", which is now planted widely across the UK. So my friend, you can try it yourself. (Populus trichocarpa)
Our saviours : In the ninth century, a team of Chinese alchemists trying to synthesize an "elixir of immortality" from saltpeter, sulfur, realgar, and dried honey instead invented gunpowder.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users