24 replies to this topic

#1 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:10 AM

The only seasonal shops I've seen near me this year are the usual, Bulldog, Supermarkets and JTF.

Used to be just a few years ago every other papershop would have a 'fireworks' sign in the window, how times have changed, have hardly seen any this year. :(

Anyone else notice this, or has it been ok in your area?

#2 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:40 PM

There definatly seem to be less papershop, cornershop, spar shop type sellers this year.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#3 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:49 PM

Simply because small shops cannot compete even on a fraction of a scale to supermarkets plus they are alot more expensive and so I assume they would opt out of buying dear fireworks to get hardly any come back.
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#4 NickC

NickC

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:39 AM

Apart from the supermarkets and garden centres, the two usual seasonal suppliers who window advertise - those shops remain empty and the one year long supplier has taken down his signs and has no obvious stock. No had a chance to pop in yet - all SE London.

#5 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:19 PM

Maybe I spoke to soon, spotted a couple of papershops with fireworks signs in the window today in Preston. One shop on New Hall Lane in particular had a pretty big eye catching banner which was Black and looked like Standard Fireworks font or whatever. :P

Also saw another shop which looked like it was selling Dancing Red Devil, on the same road but saw a few things on display as I was passing.

Also that shop were the dodgy fake 'Rocket Box' shop was last year is open again, same location, I'm gonna try and pop in this week and see if they are still selling Dancing Red Devil.

#6 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:35 PM

Just bought a dancing red devil rocket this afternoon called destroyer! Its got a 4" ball shell on it and the stick is 47" long 1/2" square, it weighs 313 grams in total. I thought i'd get it to "look" at! Cost me £9.99 Anyone know if they're any good? This place has quite a selection every year and is infact a car sales and repair garage. He had a big rocket pack that he said he was giving away at £40 and showed me the RRP price of £120 in the catalogue. I know RRP prices are way over the top but to be fair this did look like a tasy selection. If only I could remember what the box was called. It was much bigger than the usuall supermarket stuff

Maxman

#7 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:45 PM

I haven't checked my local seasonal shop yet. My local 'all year' pyro outlet was a bit of a disappointment to be honest. They have almost no Kimbolton stock this year due to 'them not bringing out anything new' and some other grumble about pricing. I probably would've been happy if I was looking for big bore cakes, but I'm not.

They did surprise me with a small dusty rocket pack which contained 6 parachute rockets though, so all is not lost. Looks like I will be on the lookout in the newsagents for things to supplement my selection this year, which I haven't done for a while.

#8 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:40 PM

I was out today and saw quite a few shops and papershops stocking pyro, which has restored my faith a little, a few Dancing Red Devil shops, some garden centres and also a few shops stocking Black Cat and Bright Star as there adverts in the windows say.

#9 sjc

sjc

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:09 PM

A number of Dancing Red Devil shops have opened up in North Staffordshire

#10 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 08:13 PM

The papershop down the road from me in Freckleton village is once again stocking Epic stuff.

Noticed tonight in the display case was Brothers Air Boss at £59.99 and Marvel Heat Seeker rockets at £14.99. The had 2 Predator 500's and a pack of Sky Storm along with many boxes of SOS and Moon Boom mines, Big Shot's and Bazooka Bombs. Also a lot of Dancing Red Devil items including Little Red Devils and Selection Boxes.

Edited by Prestonboi, 24 October 2009 - 09:01 PM.

#11 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 10:16 PM

I've been on my travels- picked up a few bits, fired for fun. These doesn't seem to be as many seasonal sellers as there once were, thats for sure.

#12 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:36 PM

Just been in a Bulldog shop in Preston before, picked up a leaflet, mostly the same range with some new cakes and rockets, lots of their stuff has '1.4G!!' plastered all over it, you think they are trying to make the public think thats something good/big?

To be fair to them they offering a fairly big range in their shops even if it will be new reg and the salesman was friendly enough.

#13 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:22 AM

Just been in a Bulldog shop in Preston before, picked up a leaflet, mostly the same range with some new cakes and rockets, lots of their stuff has '1.4G!!' plastered all over it, you think they are trying to make the public think thats something good/big?

To be fair to them they offering a fairly big range in their shops even if it will be new reg and the salesman was friendly enough.

"1.4G" is just the name of their fireworks (some of them)- its a brand name or product line, of sorts. They have been using it for a few years, so in itself it doesn't necessarily mean new spec.

#14 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:59 AM

"1.4G" is just the name of their fireworks (some of them)- its a brand name or product line, of sorts. They have been using it for a few years, so in itself it doesn't necessarily mean new spec.

I know what you mean but each of those fireworks actually has a name aswell, it comes across as a bit misleading with the big lettering plastered all over.

Seasonal shops can't stock 1.3G can they? Or can they? Just wondering how that papershop down the road from me gets away with stocking the Epic gear.

#15 TGR

TGR

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:33 PM

I know what you mean but each of those fireworks actually has a name aswell, it comes across as a bit misleading with the big lettering plastered all over.

Seasonal shops can't stock 1.3G can they? Or can they? Just wondering how that papershop down the road from me gets away with stocking the Epic gear.

seasonal shops can store 1.3G product but it seriously lowers the quantities of all fireworks they can hold. If you have just 1 x 1.3G item in your storeroom then the whole quantity in there is classed as 1.3G.

Also there is an added downer in transport of 1.3G too. Most firework deliveries are in Merc sprinter vans , these can carry up to 499kg NEC before ADR driver requirements kicks in. Now Sprinters never get anywhere near this limit. However, if any 1.3G are in the deliver then the max is 50KG NEC, so in order to comply with regs AND not need an ADR driver the vans will be out and about with roughly 20 or so cartons on board. this is not cost effective and so delivery charges will increase.

Personally 1.3G stuff is a right royal P I T A.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users