• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 patrickescotland

patrickescotland

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:58 PM

Oooh, nostalgia... Love the smell, no bangs and you can set them off in the kitchen! Also great for science demonstrations

and education. Does anyone know more about the formulation of indoor fireworks? There is a company based in the UK that has

started producing them again, in line with current safety regulations. http://www.indoorfireworks.co.uk

Pack of 20 (cost~£10):

Posted Image

I filmed some slow-motion movies of 3 types below...

Green Flash Pellet. In this high speed sequence, note the little red-hot balls of what appears to be molten oxidiser. The

metal ions "exciting" in the flame remind me of the aurora borealis.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=8k7y3PBsvdg

Volcano. Possibly my favourite of all. The old style version used to be wrapped as a foil pyramid, the new pellet form (Hocus

Pocus) seems a lot more robust and easier to light. I recall a school chemistry lesson where our teacher ingnited ammonium

dichromate, which produced amazing volumes of green ash.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=xUmsh4wt25w

Snake. According to the manufacturers these do not contain mercury.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=zUtoYY5L88Y

Others include bengal matches, and smoke puffers - remember those little plastic smoking monkeys from the 1970s/1980s? The magic fern was one that always seemed to be overlooked, but I am particularly fond of them.
The flame that burns half as long burns twice as bright...

#2 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:11 PM

Great fun, although the smell/vapours of Hocus Pocus are very strong, and somewhat unpleasant!
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#3 Firefiend

Firefiend

Martin

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:59 AM

Has anyone noticed that two of the fireworks have now been removed from the pack and a recall issued: Indoor Fireworks - Product recall notice One is the smelly Hocus Pocus! :mellow:

#4 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:26 PM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=8k7y3PBsvdg

Volcano. I recall a school chemistry lesson where our teacher ingnited ammonium

dichromate, which produced amazing volumes of green ash.

Thats what they were using, according to the website- I didn't know it was a banned substance.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#5 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:28 PM

Hope this nonsense does not screw the company.

My wife got me a pack at Christmas - great fun!
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#6 Firefiend

Firefiend

Martin

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:09 PM

My friend's son had a couple of packs at Christmas and they brought back some good memories. Unfortunately the two items were missing. Not sure why the Magic Autumn Leaves contain Potassium Dichromate, I always thought it was simply multiple lines of Potassium Nitrate solution on brown paper. This was often called Fairy Fern in the older pack. :angry:

#7 Mixologist

Mixologist

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:12 PM

I got a pack for Xmas containing the banned items, they were smelly but very good.

I will try and find out where they came from and get some more... collectors items to be methinks!

#8 Drew Peacock

Drew Peacock

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:31 PM

Hope this nonsense does not screw the company.

My wife got me a pack at Christmas - great fun!

Just stumbled across this post.

I was speaking with one if the chaps at Indoor Fireworks yesterday after I tried unsuccesfully to buy one of the packs that contained the magic leaf thing.

With regards to the recall it seems they gave all the chemical compositions to HSE prior ro import and they in turn classified the product, of course HSE only classified it for import, transport and storage (not sales) but it seems a bit unfair. Anyway, HSE overlooked the substances but a competitor (cant say who for obvious reasons) advised trading standards of the dichromates hence the recall.

They are revamping the old card and say they have some new effects on the go but are looking to develop more than one variety of selection pack. They asked me if I had any suggestions but I am no chemist. I mentioned I would post on here and he seemed quite appreciative. So if you want to see your old favourites back email or call them, details at info@indoorfireworks.co.uk

On an unrelated subject anyone know if Cube are back in business.

#9 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:03 PM

Bring back the good ol' days I say!

Posted Image

#10 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:09 PM

The "good" old days included mercury based snake compositions which emitted Hg vapour as they burned and contained a lethal dose in the as sold tablet. Something I would rather not go back to.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#11 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:54 PM

The "good" old days included mercury based snake compositions which emitted Hg vapour as they burned and contained a lethal dose in the as sold tablet. Something I would rather not go back to.

I don't think I'm old enough to remember Hg snakes - needless to say I would like to see the non-toxic variety making a comeback. I've tried the new pack and it's great, didn't quite have the same magic as the ones I remember from a few years back though.

#12 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:20 PM

Looks like these fireworks are Hexamine fuel based the way they burn. Does anyone know if the snakes are back yet or leafs?

Oh and are these UK made?

Edited by pyrotechnist, 29 January 2010 - 02:21 PM.

fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#13 Drew Peacock

Drew Peacock

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:01 AM

Looks like these fireworks are Hexamine fuel based the way they burn. Does anyone know if the snakes are back yet or leafs?

Oh and are these UK made?

Snakes are available but not the leaf. The leaf and the volcano pellets have been taken out because of the dichromates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users