37 replies to this topic

#1 bernie

bernie

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 10:49 PM

I never thought I would ever be asking this question.....anybody collect firecracker labels on the forum? Don't really have anything to speak of myself but I think I've been bitten by the bug. Would be willing to trade some US labels for some UK labels.

#2 bernie

bernie

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 10:00 PM

Well I guess the answer is a big no on that one.

#3 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 05 December 2003 - 01:12 AM

I've thought about getting into it, but I don't think I would ever have the dedication to build up a good collection. However I am interested in getting a few British dummy fireworks. I was given a big bag full of inert stuff from Standard Fireworks from the final years of manufacture at Huddersfield.

#4 bernie

bernie

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 05 December 2003 - 02:23 AM

It almost seems silly to collect old labels. There are some serious collectors out there though. Mostly I admire the older art work. I've had some pretty neat firecrackers but could not resist the temptation to let the kids run around and shoot them off.

Want to trade anything Honcho? The only thing that comes to mind that might be of interest to you is some PGI brand crackers.

#5 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 05 December 2003 - 07:22 PM

Cool Richard how did you get them? Was it off Ronald Raply working there at the time? I get some things from him about firework building. How many inserts did you get? Do you know when Standard finished I can't find any where were it says. I once used to go around collecting spent tubes ones that were good though and using them I still do now like this year when my firework went off I used the tubes from it and cleaned them up and got 25 tubes in my bedroom well 24 now I took one apart. Did you go into any buildings and see anything there at the factory are you 15 or 20 years old to get them Richard. :D
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#6 bernie

bernie

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 12:07 AM

I was just out bid on e bay. Cripes. It was fun though. Was after an old 'pack' of Dixie Boy brand crackers. They sold for just about $ 24.00.

The brand would indicate to those not familiar with the 'old days' that they were not manufactured yesterday.

Honcho, the only thing I have with the Standard name on it is some crackers. Square looking buggers wrapped with green twine. You wouldn't want to have one go off in your hand. The kids love em.

#7 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 12:07 AM

Hello

I got them many years ago from one of the guys who worked on the Standard fireworks display crew. Never been to the factory myself but maybe one day I will go and have a look, it's literally 5 or so miles away.

#8 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 12:12 AM

I was just out bid on e bay. Cripes. It was fun though. Was after an old 'pack' of Dixie Boy brand crackers. They sold for just about $ 24.00.

The brand would indicate to those not familiar with the 'old days' that they were not manufactured yesterday.

Honcho, the only thing I have with the Standard name on it is some crackers. Square looking buggers wrapped with green twine. You wouldn't want to have one go off in your hand. The kids love em.

Hehe, Annoying when that happens :) Bernie, Try going to http://www.hammersnipe.com

About those crackers, are they of Indian or British origin? There is still the Indian firm of the same name producing fireworks in the Sivakasi region. As for my dummy collection, I can't find the buggers! I will have a root around tomorrow and try and find them.

#9 bernie

bernie

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 12:15 AM

India. The hammersnipe thing is a great concept. Appreciate the advice.

Edited by bernie, 06 December 2003 - 12:24 AM.

#10 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 04:15 PM

Whilst it's not the real thing, you can view and print all sorts of labels here, (many actual size to make dummies). I just like to look at the 60's & 70's labels when three colours was about the limit of cheap printing and so imaginitive designs had to be used instead.

http://www.fireworkmuseum.co.uk/
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#11 bernie

bernie

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 11:04 PM

Mr. Tube, Thanks for the good link(s). I've added it to my favorites and will check in every so often. Those guys are some serious enthusiasts. They might even need help.

#12 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 02:04 AM

I know Maurice Evans, he has to be the premier firework memorabilia collector in the U.K. He has Everything, I mean Everything! from 1920's Japanese daylight shells to the Iron LF symbols from the gates of Lion Fireworks who were in Lepton nr Huddersfield.

#13 bernie

bernie

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 02:42 AM

I'm not really looking for another obsession. An interesting diversion every so often would be pleasant though. I was able to purchase the same label that I was after much cheaper than my first attempt.

Are you a collector Mr. Tube?

#14 Rhodri

Rhodri

One of the gang!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 12:14 PM

Bernie, I have some labels you could have. Nothing too old I'm affraid but you're welcome to them.
Making light, sound and good conversation.

#15 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 07:32 PM

I'm not a collector of memorabilia myself although I do like the styling of 1960's, 1970's labels as the designs required much more imagination using a limited printing process, rather than the photographic quality of many modern labels. I often have the nostalgia about frosty bonfire nights with a full moon in the sky etc just by looking at particular labels.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users