37 replies to this topic

#31 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 03:23 PM

I suppose this is an appropriate place rather than starting a new thread.Amazing what searching turns up :P .

I'm just wondering if anyone knows the layout (warnings,effects etc) on modern cat 4 labels for things like mines,candles etc??The reason i ask is i'm starting to make proper labels for the different devices i build and want them to look as professional as posible.I'v started labeling my rockets and use the same layout as the commercial ones,but should i be labeling them cat 4 ?because technically thats what they are right??

If someone (ideally someone who works with cat 4 :P ) could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated

dean
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#32 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 04:58 PM

The labeling for Cat 4 is less rigidly prescribed than for Cat 2 / 3, so you can make up your own as needed.

Here's a couple from the weekend (yes, I collect them too :rolleyes: ). Both were fun to fire.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by BrightStar, 03 August 2007 - 05:45 PM.

#33 spectrum

spectrum

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:08 PM

We have been engaged on a number of occasions to clear out and dispose of magazine contents on a commercial basis. The last time we did this we collected a number of Sparkler packets which were very old and a complete pack of Portfires, beautifully wrapped and made by Brocks at Hemel Hemstead. The pack is old brown paper with a lovely white label, it has to be unique.

I mentioned in my post regarding old firework factories about the label situation at Astra when I joined, parts of that factory were very old indeed and had fallen into complete disrepair. there were old label stocks and display boards stashed away there which had been long forgotten. I did have a large collection of labels from Brocks, Wilders, Pains, Wessex, Wallops and Rainbow. These included scarce labels from satelite Brocks factories which must have been unique. I lost these to a less than honest individual who still tries to associate with the industry along with a set of Lions Fireworks Posters dating through the 1930's loaned to another figure in the industry (formerly at Standard) - they apparently went missing from his office and I was never compensated. What a prat!. I would say to anyone else - don't lend your stuff to anyone.

I still have a reasonable collection which has been mounted and framed. I would be more than happy to colour photocopy these for anyone who wants them, but would prefer to do this in one job lot. maybe I should make a list of what I have and post it here.

During the demolition of the Astra factory loads of stuff came out of the nooks and crannies of the place, hidden away in cracks in buildings or simply lost over the years. I picked up old jumping jacks and various other obscure bits and pieces.

#34 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:28 PM

Thanx BrightStar much appreciated.I wouldn't have thought they were so sparce,but suppose they dont need to be :rolleyes:

spectrum,a list would be great,it's always nice to see old stuff,as a kid i loved looking at labels,and still do :rolleyes:

dean
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#35 nimbus2

nimbus2

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:38 AM

I think one of the reasons why old firework labels are so fascinating is the fact that they are not only obsolete but also sadly missed. A small personal thing like a banger of the 1970's carried with it the spirit of boyhood, and in a larger sense the spirit of the times. The simple printed label wrapped round such an object was taken for granted and never thought about. Yet today the image of that half-forgotten label has for some the distilled aesthetic power of fine Scotch. It's odd that the creators of old firework labels were mostly anonymous and had no idea that their crude designs would one day be contemplated as art and a symbol of a lost national industry.

#36 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:13 AM

Hello Spectrum. It's Keith here who used to run Panther Fireworks. I sometimes bought a few strobe lances from you. Hope you are well.

I have a copy of the special rules from the Dartford Wells site, and although not as pretty to look at as the labels, there can't be many of them about. I did have a lion jumping jack that was held together by plastic tape that said it was a wheel. I think I gave it to John Bennett. That must have been fairly unique.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#37 pudi.dk

pudi.dk

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 11:18 AM

The labeling for Cat 4 is less rigidly prescribed than for Cat 2 / 3, so you can make up your own as needed.

Here's a couple from the weekend (yes, I collect them too :rolleyes: ). Both were fun to fire.

Posted Image

Posted Image

On a second look at the label of the 6" crossette:
"Extremely dangerous for licensed display operators only"

So it's not dangerous for anyone else? :lol:

Edited by pudi.dk, 16 August 2007 - 11:19 AM.

Videos visit: http://www.pudi.dk

#38 spectrum

spectrum

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 09:55 AM

Hello Spectrum. It's Keith here who used to run Panther Fireworks. I sometimes bought a few strobe lances from you. Hope you are well.

I have a copy of the special rules from the Dartford Wells site, and although not as pretty to look at as the labels, there can't be many of them about. I did have a lion jumping jack that was held together by plastic tape that said it was a wheel. I think I gave it to John Bennett. That must have been fairly unique.

Believe it or not I also have a copy of the Dartford factory special rules. I used to have a few other bits but they have all been lost over the years. I must catalogue the bits I have got - I would be more than happy to share them with whoever wants them by colour photocopying them. Nice to hear from you again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users