15 replies to this topic

#16 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:47 PM

Oh so there is likeley to be alot of sulfate in there too? If it is the usual tech grade of barium carbonate, how much of it would be sulfate? A little doenst concern me (should it? I would be using it with K chlorate and shellac), going by the quantity of raw 'carbonate' I added to the quantity of acid before it had stopped fizzing, it doesnt seem like much, the numbers seemed to add up pretty well. The acid should have destroyed all of the sufide shouldn't it? The solution still smells a little too.

Jesse

edit: Ok so I diluted my original 1L down to about 3L, heated then allowed it to settle, and decanted the liquid off the sediment (I tried filtering, but it was painfully slow.). Im now going to boil that down. I'll keep the sediment and add more water to get all the nitrate out too.

The filtering is very slow, but necessary IMO. A buchner funnel (vacuum filtering apparatus) would be a great help with that. When you add water to the sediment be sure to heat it as that will allow more nitrate to dissolve.
As for the smell it is most likely from the sulfates formed. I still have some smelly barium nitrate from a few years ago. Another (recommended) recrystallization should get rid of the smell (and purify the product).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users