5 replies to this topic

#1 RichardM

RichardM

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:07 PM

Hi All,

I do research work for the MoD, specifically with smoke systems. All of my work to date has been based on non-pyrotechnic solutions. I am now looking at a new application and I would like to conduct some experiments on potassium nitrate - sucrose compounds. I have searched this forum and found a few comments that mixing up samples below 100g is excluded from the requirements of MSER 2005. I have scanned through MSER but have been unable to find any reference to this exclusion. Could anybody put me right on this please? If there is an exclusion statement could someone give me the reference?

Any advice on HSE legislation I may need to consider would also be gratefully received.

I forsee the initial research lasting approximately 3 months. A 100g limit would be acceptable for this initial work.

Many thanks,

Richard

#2 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:55 PM

Hi Richard,

Currently (I believe changes are on the way in the future!):

PART 3
LICENSING AND REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS
Explosives not to be manufactured without a licence
9. - (1) Subject to paragraph (2), no person shall manufacture explosives unless he holds a licence for that manufacture and complies with the conditions of that licence.

(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to -

(a) the manufacture of explosives for the purpose of laboratory analysis, testing, demonstration or experimentation (but not for practical use or sale) where the total quantity of explosives being manufactured at any time does not exceed 100 grams, but nothing in this sub-paragraph shall be taken as authorising any acquisition or keeping of explosives for which an explosives certificate is required by virtue of regulation 7 of those Regulations, without such a certificate;

#3 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:02 PM

Changes on the way Richard! Should we be worried?

Maxman

#4 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:11 PM

We will obviously keep everyone updated once we know more ourselves. We are in ongoing discussions with HSE about this and other matters.

#5 RichardM

RichardM

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:36 PM

Many thanks for the advice! We can do most of our research with small samples below 100g.

Look forward to hearing about the changes coming.

Great forum,

Richard

#6 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:09 PM

We are stuffed if they stop us from making 100g, then one mite ask what is the point? as we are merely going to be out classed as something we are not by the politicly correct society and government.
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users