#16 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 07:00 PM

Yes, it should work.

Have you tried it? You should also continuously run water through it. Sodium contamination is a problem.

#17 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 07:16 PM

So I use copper sulphate now instead of carbonate? I assume I then disolve the sodium bicarb with the boric acid in hot water and add a watered down solution of copper sulphate? could the sodium bicarb be replaced with sodium chloride?
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#18 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:31 PM

No, you need a basic salt. React hot solutions of boric acid and sodium bicarbonate. Once the boric acid has dissolved, add a saturated solution of copper sulfate (meaning, copper sulfate has been added until no more will dissolve). Once the sodium borate solution has cooled down, add the copper sulfate, and a milky-blue precipitate will form.

Pass it through a coffee filter paper, and allow the water to drain. Continue to pass water through it slowly to ensure that there is no sodium contamination.

#19 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:03 PM

I assume this will then be normal copper borate that can be used for colour production etc? I had a similar reaction as you state above using the borax and copper sulphate reaction with a nice light blue participate, I am just waiting to test that salt within a colour comp when I get chance.
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#20 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:09 PM

Just a quick comment. How does Sodium contamination affect this? Is Potassium borate soluble enough for this double decomposition reaction? If so that may be a better route.

Edited by digger, 03 April 2010 - 11:09 PM.

Phew that was close.

#21 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:50 PM

Borax, as I said, is tetraborate - which is great for flash powders as you suggested, and perhaps could be used in strobe formulas like copper phosphate was for some time or in other delayed reactions. But it cannot be used as a serious colorant when compared to other borate varieties.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users