• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Maxim

Maxim

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:26 PM

Ive recently been working with Minium (Lead teroxide) to make my dragons eggs. I am generally a hypochondriac i shall admit. I have been wearing rubber gloves, mask and eye protection and i threw the clothes i was wearing at the time into the wash straight away and then had a shower and washed all my equipment.

Now realistically, in what doses and contact does minium become a health hazard?

#2 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:40 AM

You shouldn't worry about it too much unless it is reacting to produce a more soluble lead salt. That doesn't make it safe - But it certainly does mean that you are in less danger of lead being absorbed through your skin. Treat it the same way you would barium carbonate or other toxic salts.

Why are you using lead over bismuth, out of curiosity?

Edited by MDH, 01 April 2010 - 12:40 AM.

#3 leosedf

leosedf

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:46 AM

For years people have been painting boats over and over without even the minimal protection. Nobody i know of ever had something.
That doesn't mean you shouldn't use protection, but if you do you won't have a problem using it. I am using red lead too and never experienced something.
Good protection is allways good, a good mask, very good gloves, eyewear and possibly protective clothing.

#4 a_bab

a_bab

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:46 AM

With that kind of protection you could have worked with cyanide with no ill effects.

Let's not exagerate the dangers: if you do a blood test right after the exposure, you *may* have the lead levels raised a bit, but not necessary from your dragon eggs.

#5 CCH Concepts

CCH Concepts

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:39 AM

i have found after using it even with a mask i have had a head ache, but that could be me being a hypochondriac. the main thing from what i have read is to wear gloves as it can pass through skin contact. but im sure like the other comments its not as bad as people say, but better safe than sorry.

#6 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:23 PM

People have been drinking water from lead pipes for years, putting lead on their windows etc and have no ill effects. I think lead affects you over a period of years of constant lead abuse than straight away. Dam if anything we dont have enough lead in our body!
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#7 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:43 PM

People have been drinking water from lead pipes for years

Dates back to Roman times, the pipes are still around today. We get the word 'Plumbing' from the old latin name for lead 'Plumbum' :rolleyes:
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#8 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:25 PM

lol see and arnt we all still alive and fine :>, I do look at the worlds problems.... but nooo sure it aint to do with good old lead now.

#9 a_bab

a_bab

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:07 PM

The lead water pipes are a different animal. They will develop the extremly insoluble lead carbonate, protecting them from further corrosion. As about the windows made with lead, even less to worry: in order to poison you, it needs to get airborne unless you stay the whole day long, licking it.

Just a bit of common sense, that's all we need to understand the risks. We've been brainwashed for too long. How 'bout the lead battery in the car? Or the crystal glass (flint)? Just drank some champaingne from a crystal glass, ooops. Made of lead oxide mostly.

Just use the respirator (a must), gloves, have a bath afterwards, change the clothes and that's all. Lead can kill, but the chronical exposure called saturnism has signs long before you are about to die. Just do a research.

#10 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:25 PM

Im assuming you need to inhale or ingest alot of it to be affect. Now the thought of licking lead windows ooooooh :) lol I am there are some nutters out there that do just that.

#11 Maxim

Maxim

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:27 PM

Well that certainly does reassure me. I am using lead over bismuth because of the price mainly. Im making dragons eggs and for 150g i literally get close to nothing in amount! And they are really bad as well... But i guess it all takes practice. I spilt the lead a lot but i can clean it up as it is a bright orange colour and clearly visible.

#12 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:48 PM

One chemical I refuse to touch atm is barium carbonate even with protective gear. My dragon eggs suck to so your not alone there :). They either do not light or do not crack but make a puff and shoot sparks all over the place.

#13 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:39 AM

One chemical I refuse to touch atm is barium carbonate even with protective gear.

Why ???
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#14 Maxim

Maxim

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:14 AM

Yes why? I think you possibly meant barium nitrate as it is extremely poisonous by ingestion and can go through the skin... but still its not THAT dangerous, just if you are stupid with it. Its essential for use in green stars (or at least the good ones).

#15 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:30 AM

Because of its solubility on humane skin and plus I dont like the green produced via Barium, instead I am trying to find another suitable source. If I need to I will use it or use it to produce another chemical but at the moment green is least of my worries and blue is the one I want to get correct.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users