• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 PyroSkitz

PyroSkitz

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 04:06 PM

i need some help, today i made a 6 shelf star dryer, i am going to put a dehumidifier in the bottom of it and possible a light bulb, its around 1 meter tall and 35cm wide give or take.
i was planning on drying some stars of course and also drying my granulated black powder that i make, i was just wondering if anyone knew of the ignition point of black-powder without a flame, just heat, and if anyone knew of a suitable temperature that would dry stars fast but wouldn't become dangerously hot to ignite them or black powder if left on overnight or what ever.

much appreciated for any replies
George

i don't know wether this is categorized correctly so sorry...

Edited by PyroSkitz, 03 April 2010 - 04:18 PM.

#2 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 04:18 PM

IIRC the flash point of BP is around 400c. If I were you I would leave out the bulb. Don't forget that drying stars to fast can cause the moisture to be driven in

Edited by portfire, 03 April 2010 - 04:19 PM.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#3 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 04:49 PM

If I were you I would leave out the bulb.

I second that, there is no need for the bulb. The action of the dehumidifier itself will create plenty of heat.
Phew that was close.

#4 PyroSkitz

PyroSkitz

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 05:16 PM

wow thanks guys for that information, glad to know my black powder wont just burst into flames with some heat around, and i wont consider the light :) im planning on getting a peliter mini 300 dehumidifier, i know its a bit overkill but i couldn't find any smaller ones for a good price :)

and any information on stars? they wont just instantly light either yes ?

#5 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 06:15 PM

Have a look in your local paper or add mag for a second hand one. I prefer the non Peltier ones myself. I got mine for a tenner from some chap about a mile away!
Phew that was close.

#6 Maxim

Maxim

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:19 PM

Well you're in luck, ive JUST built exactly what you are describing and id be glad to help you by sharing my plans...

Im going to post the pics of mine in a second...

#7 Maxim

Maxim

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:34 PM

Notes:

Originally i put the dehumidifier inside the box and sealed it. This actually was a problem as the air temperature was approximately 37c inside the box. This was a problem because for the dehumidifier to work properly, the temperature must be at room temperature or lower due to the condensation process that occurs within the dehumidifier. As suggested in the above posts, leave out the light bulb. Just make sure the output of the dehumidifier is out of the box and seal the area around the dehumidifier that you cut to fit it in. Also make sure that the dehumidifier is upright as there is a drip tray for the condensation to collect and drop on and then to be dripped into the tank which can only happen in an upright position.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dehumidifier:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1#ht_551wt_1165

50L Box:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...b#ht_2629wt_939

Glue Gun:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...#ht_1913wt_1320

#8 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:12 PM

Originally i put the dehumidifier inside the box and sealed it. This actually was a problem as the air temperature was approximately 37c inside the box. This was a problem because for the dehumidifier to work properly, the temperature must be at room temperature or lower due to the condensation process that occurs within the dehumidifier.

NOT TRUE NECESSARY TRUE, a proper dehumidifier will not have this problem at such a low temperature as it has a refrigeration cycle within it. In fact the higher temperature will help the dehumidifier work as the vapour pressure of the moisture will be higher at the elevated temperature (allowing the water to evaporate more quickly), a second useful effect is that the air can hold more moisture at the elevated temperature allowing the dehumidifier more to go at.

Of course this will not work with as well with PELTIER cell dehumidifier as they can only maintain a certain temperature difference across the cell so they won't work properly at high temperatures. All the more reason to go for a proper dehumidifier.

One thing to note if you have this problem, is that you can run the device on a timer to control temperature and you should make the cabinet a good size giving it a reasonable surface area to dissipate heat. Also these devices should always be in a suitable location and NEVER inside your house, a shed at the bottom of the garden should do.

I have a refrigerant cycle dehumidifier and it will dry a 12mm star or 1 inch comet in less than 24 hours at an average temperature of 33C

Edited by digger, 03 April 2010 - 10:27 PM.

Phew that was close.

#9 Maxim

Maxim

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:29 PM

I totally agree but on a budget the dehumidifiers work only with the heat-cell process.

#10 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:35 PM

Mine cost a tenner on the website of the local paper in the classified section. Just a bit of patience and a couple of weeks and you will get a second hand one that you will be far happier with than a cheap one in the long run (for less money probably too).
Phew that was close.

#11 Maxim

Maxim

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:37 PM

Mine cost a tenner on the website of the local paper in the classified section. Just a bit of patience and a couple of weeks and you will get a second hand one that you will be far happier with than a cheap one in the long run (for less money probably too).

Again, i do agree completely. I waited 2 weeks and checked everywhere and on gumtree but couldnt find anything so just went with the one on ebay and it isnt too bad ill admit.

#12 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:49 PM

Keep checking, you will find one eventually
Phew that was close.

#13 PyroSkitz

PyroSkitz

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:50 PM

Sadly it is going to be Put In my pyro garrage with everything else... It's plenty big enough with 6 shelfs, this peliter dehumidifier I'm getting has a daily load of 5.5 liters ? It's called pureline miny 300 if anyone was intrested or can give me some Information on if, I'll look around aswell for a proper one, I'll be uploading pictures soon without the dehumidifier but with a light bulb (only temporary untill I can get the debumidifer... :) ) so roughly what tempreture should be ok if I did have to settle for a peliter model??

#14 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:52 PM

Another advantage of having the unit in the box is that you will be drying a fixed volume of air. Why not just put it on a timer to keep the temperature down?
Phew that was close.

#15 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:54 PM

Sadly it is going to be Put In my pyro garrage with everything else... It's plenty big enough with 6 shelfs, this peliter dehumidifier I'm getting has a daily load of 5.5 liters ? It's called pureline miny 300 if anyone was intrested or can give me some Information on if, I'll look around aswell for a proper one, I'll be uploading pictures soon without the dehumidifier but with a light bulb (only temporary untill I can get the debumidifer... :) ) so roughly what tempreture should be ok if I did have to settle for a peliter model??

Keep it under 30C, just put it on a plug timer to cycle it on and off if it starts to get too warm.
Phew that was close.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users