#16 rocketpro

rocketpro

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:28 AM

-------

Edited by rocketpro, 06 August 2010 - 11:21 AM.

Who tests the tester.

#17 PyroSkitz

PyroSkitz

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:05 AM

You`re a worry, and i think you are heading for a disaster.

thanks for your concern...but i haven't actually hurt myself once doing pyro, a few burns but that's from the lighters...
i maybe but all of the other stuff i do is perfectly safe...the hob is probably stupid but remember people cook black powder in them with the cia method with no problem, mines the same thing there just in star form and contain a little less water ...now you cant deny that :)

#18 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:30 PM

thanks for your concern...but i haven't actually hurt myself once doing pyro, a few burns but that's from the lighters...
i maybe but all of the other stuff i do is perfectly safe...the hob is probably stupid but remember people cook black powder in them with the cia method with no problem, mines the same thing there just in star form and contain a little less water ...now you cant deny that :)

I'm not sure about people cooking BP in the CIA method. Heat is applied in the form of hot water to dissolve the Potassium nitrate, but other than that, there should be no cooking, and certainly not with the composition mixed.

Even if you do remotely cook your stars, and do it in a way that is not going to hurt you, it is a worrying attitude.

If you are trying to get everything done AS FAST AS POSSIBLE!!! you will slip up a lot more than if you chilled out and let things dry naturally, or at most with a gentle air current in a dehumidified box.

We do know the exitement, and the strong desire to try out everything ASAP, and try and find ways of doing it faster, but it is a feeling that you really should fight.

My suggestion is that instead of putting effort in to forcing things dry, just put the stars to one side and forget about them. Make some more stars, and make yourself a fountain or two. When you will go back to your stars, they will be dry, and while a week will have passed, you will now have many more stars drying. It will work out much more rewarding and efficient that way in the long term, not to mention a lot safer.

Stay green,
Slow down.
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#19 CCH Concepts

CCH Concepts

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:48 PM

one suggestion if your insisting on using a hob. dont use direct heat, fill a saucepan with water, place a bowl in the water and the stars in the bowl. make sure the bowls rim is to large to allow the bottom of the bowl to touch the base of the pan. this way the water will only allow approx 100 degrees heat and even if it boils dry you wont have any direct heat. but by no means will this make it safe.

#20 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:31 PM

I would suggest don't use a hob at all, there is no need. I can't understand why you think an electric hob would be any safer :wacko:

Edited by digger, 05 April 2010 - 05:31 PM.

Phew that was close.

#21 PyroSkitz

PyroSkitz

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:30 PM

I don't think it's any safer thus the reason for it being placed In the centre of my garden, it's just a hell of a lot faster, all this talk about weeks to dry stars it takes me 10 minutes maximum to complatly dry a star, and the water not being driven in, saves a hell of a lot of time and is perfectly safe if your not standing next to it, what's the worsb that can happen with only 50 gram batch in each bowl. A little fire I'm the
middle of your garden and a singed stainless steel bowl.... No biggie wht so ever... :)

#22 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:35 PM

You just don't seem to get it do you?

With reference to this thread CLICK ME

By the way saying that the heater in the cabinet was just a mock up is BS. Why would you drill a hole for the wire to go through and then go to the effort of putting a plug on the wire after threading it through if it was just a mock up?

Also why would you say I am currently USING a room heater if you weren't?

I am not trying to be harsh. I don't know where you live, I don't know if you have 50 acres of fields to play in, however that is not really the issue. It would appear at least that you have been using your room heater dier indoors(yes spelling mistake on purpose), I guess that you don't own the house or you would be a damn sight more careful

However, safety is a way of thinking that you clearly need to learn. Because if you carry on the way you are you will definitely have an accident, hopefully not a too serious one.

Have a look at the following site for a few stupid injuries Clicky Clicky

I don't want to sound to onerous, as this can be a great hobby if treated with the respect it truly needs and deserves, but if you are careless, reckless or just plain stupid it will bite your hand off in an instant when you least expect it.

Please be patient and safe. It is an art that will be learned over many years.

I guess you have not done a great deal of reading around the subject yet, but it would be a good idea to get started as there a many great books out there dealing with the chemistry (what goes together and what bites as soon as you mix it) and the practice.

Stay Green

Digger

Edited by digger, 06 April 2010 - 12:02 AM.

Phew that was close.

#23 PyroSkitz

PyroSkitz

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:48 AM

You just don't seem to get it do you?

With reference to this thread CLICK ME

By the way saying that the heater in the cabinet was just a mock up is BS. Why would you drill a hole for the wire to go through and then go to the effort of putting a plug on the wire after threading it through if it was just a mock up?

Also why would you say I am currently USING a room heater if you weren't?

I am not trying to be harsh. I don't know where you live, I don't know if you have 50 acres of fields to play in, however that is not really the issue. It would appear at least that you have been using your room heater dier indoors(yes spelling mistake on purpose), I guess that you don't own the house or you would be a damn sight more careful

However, safety is a way of thinking that you clearly need to learn. Because if you carry on the way you are you will definitely have an accident, hopefully not a too serious one.

Have a look at the following site for a few stupid injuries Clicky Clicky

I don't want to sound to onerous, as this can be a great hobby if treated with the respect it truly needs and deserves, but if you are careless, reckless or just plain stupid it will bite your hand off in an instant when you least expect it.

Please be patient and safe. It is an art that will be learned over many years.

I guess you have not done a great deal of reading around the subject yet, but it would be a good idea to get started as there a many great books out there dealing with the chemistry (what goes together and what bites as soon as you mix it) and the practice.

Stay Green

Digger

ok fair enough i see your points, and i do get it, im just being safe about it all, the hole in the cabinet is for the dehumidifer, i had the heater on once then turned it off after i read the post. i have done a lot of ready of diffrent things such as what to be mixed what not to be mixed, whats senstitive what isnt all those guidelines, yes i did relise i done a stupid mistake by putting the room heater in a cabinet, especially after i relised about the heating element, it got switched off streight after i read the post and i though about it, luckily it was only turned on when the whole cabinet was cleaned and had no debris.

and the thing about the hob is that it isnt exactly a big deal, you may complain at me saying it is, but im a good 10 meteres from it, with only a 50 gram batch inside, its not like im heating up flash powder.....people test stars which weigh more than 50 grabs at a time in their gardens which are closer to them than this .....

i know you say ims tupid but hear me out, im doing all these things in safe practasises....

#24 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:07 PM

Think about this, You need 100% ignition when you chose, and 100% non ignition at ALL other times. Then you are part of the way to being safe.

The ways to get this include to learn a LOT by reading before you do any making. This forum is only one source of information, there are several others both online and in hard copy.

You should own hard copies of Rev R Lancaster's book, Takeo Shimizu's book, and Weingart's book. All of these can be found via Amazon or abebooks.co.uk

Take the opportunity to learn from the mistakes of others, before you make any of your own as injuries usually hurt.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#25 Karl Mitchell-Shead

Karl Mitchell-Shead

MIExpE & Director - Illusion Fireworks Ltd

• UKPS Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:29 PM

Pyro skitz..... definately that

www.illusionfireworks.com - A SKY FULL OF MAGIC!

#26 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:46 PM

A friend of mine had the opposite problem. His TT stars burned too fast. He had ball milled them and they burned within a second or so. Haven't made any yet myself, but they seem beautiful when functioning the way they're supposed to. Posted Image

Edited by Pyroswede, 12 April 2010 - 08:46 PM.

"This salt, formerly called hyperoxymuriate of potassa, is
used for sundry preparations, and especially for experimental
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#27 rocketpro

rocketpro

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:42 PM

Posted Image Posted Image [ 4 posts ] Print viewPrevious topic | Next topic AuthorMessagePyroSkitzPosted Image Post subject: I had an accident....After testing a 2-5 gram pile of black powder on my work bench, i noticed some sparks falling towards the ground, being "certain" that the ground was clean i didn't give much notice to this, until the spark hit the floor that was, HOLY MOLY! it went up well like a "house on fire" it burned for around 10 seconds in total, burning my forefinger, and slight singe of the feet, luckily i managed to smother the fire in a damp cleaning cloth before it done any real damage, i am obviously more carefully now and will sweep up the floor very often from tiny little particles, although now i look back in the area i was just in, it could of been a lot worse, my fuse was sitting on the desk ready to be cut, (still out of reach from the pile i was lighting, but nearly close enough to the sparks from the floor.

You must have forgotten about this one. Unbelievable!!!!!

Who tests the tester.

#28 Karl Mitchell-Shead

Karl Mitchell-Shead

MIExpE & Director - Illusion Fireworks Ltd

• UKPS Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:31 PM

Speaks for itself, this hobby demands respect, a lesson i have learnt the hard way, if you dont have the patience or the common sense i wouldnt bother.

www.illusionfireworks.com - A SKY FULL OF MAGIC!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users