• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#16 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:42 PM

John Bennett has given us an excellent write up in the latest issue of Fireworks magazine.

If you don't already get this publication, I strongly suggest that you buy a copy of the current issue.
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#17 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:45 PM

My image looks good on there :>
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#18 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:59 PM

My image looks good on there :>

You got the front page mate!
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#19 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:30 PM

John Bennett has given us an excellent write up in the latest issue of Fireworks magazine.If you don't already get this publication, I strongly suggest that you buy a copy of the current issue.

I have just subscribed to Fireworks magazine something I should have done years ago come on fellows it costs just £11.20 for the two issues per year and we are on the front page.
Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

#20 martyn

martyn

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:05 PM

I have just subscribed to Fireworks magazine something I should have done years ago come on fellows it costs just £11.20 for the two issues per year and we are on the front page.

Likewise here - only other copy I have seen is one I bought at the agm this year - looking foward to receiving it.

#21 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:16 PM

It is always a good read and a high quality magazine. John Bennett has been producing it single handed for the last 20 odd years - there is simply nothing else like it in the pyro world.

You can buy a single copy to see what it's like, but I'd suggest anyone with an interest in pyro should subscribe...

John has also been a very good friend to the UKPS, so it seems only fair to return the compliment.
Posted Imagethegreenman

#22 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:58 AM

John Bennett has given us an excellent write up in the latest issue of Fireworks magazine.

If you don't already get this publication, I strongly suggest that you buy a copy of the current issue.

Excellent article and magazine,its good to see the ukps having such prominent articles.

#23 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:18 AM

Thanks! Think it's really important that we get known as a serious force in the wider pyro world...

Posted Imagethegreenman

#24 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:39 AM

Ok guys, here`s some more news on the Wells front.

Over the last few months, Ive been in contact with a guy called `Roy Stephenson` who is head of archaeological collections & archives at the Museum of London. He has generously donated a number of glass display cabinets worth many thousands of pounds for our firework museum.

Yesterday I and Phil Dunford and his school collegues, along with a van hire hire company, managed to move this equipment to temporary storage at his school.

#25 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:09 AM

We have recently received an email with some rather disturbing news. This tends to explain the long wait we have had for planning permission to be sought.

Apparently, in the current financial situation, Amberley has lost some of its grants. This has affected them so badly that they have made their paid director redundant and this position is now being filled by a volunteer. There seems to be some doubt if they have sufficient funds to clear and level the site proposed for our exhibit & provide services. There is a possibility that one of the other sites proposed earlier could be used. These would all require less groundwork.

Hopefully none of this will be a deal-breaker, but there is no denying it is a setback.

We are seeking a face to face meeting at the earliest opportunity.

Edited by phildunford, 23 November 2010 - 10:09 AM.

Posted Imagethegreenman

#26 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:37 PM

Ok folks, just to reiterate Phils comments, there is not much more we can tell at this stage of affairs until a meeting with the decision makers at Amberley is sorted.

Just for the record, I can assure you guys that Phil & Chris negotiations & planning applications etc have been first class & professional,........ and have in no-way been a factor in this temporary turn of events.

From what I can see, its just case of Amberley being more prudent with there costings given government cutbacks to some areas of education and charity based funding, but it also has to be said that in my opinion, our original first preference (that was rejected by a vote of there trustees) to site the sheds opposite the railway, is and was the better option in terms of asthetics and costs, and of course for attracting more visitors to the UKPS sheds.

My gut feeling is I think this will all turn out ok, but will probably mean the sheds will be errected elswhere at Amberley....so don`t be too down hearted, Chris, Phil, and I are totally dedicated to this project whatever the outcome!

#27 chrismdunford

chrismdunford

UKPS Treasurer

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:19 PM

A further update on the situation.

I have had a reply to my latest email to the acting Director. On the question of reverting to one of the previous sites he said that the trustees "
did not feel that these offered either a practical or appropriate site for the project".

The trustees will be meeting on 8th December and they will let us know what they decide. Unfortunately we will not have any input so we will have to wait and see. My request for a meeting has been declined as "It would probably be premature to discuss any details in advance of that meeting".

This may not be bad news; they might decide it's still a great idea and we will be back on track, but there appears to be nothing more we can do for now.

#28 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:58 PM

Any news on how things are going?
Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

#29 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:37 PM

Any news on how things are going?

Hi Vic,

We had another generic email reply from Amberley on the 15.12.2010 which basically outlined there priorities with existing major contruction projects that were in place before ours.

Amongst other things, they are also keen for us to clarify that our finances are in place to move forward with completion in mind sooner rather than later, but the finer details on what they exactly want from us in terms of what they now expect us to pay for is unclear at this stage of events.

Phil, Chris and I will be having a meeting after the christmas period is over to work on our strategy and approach before we meet up with the Amberley trustees to hear there thoughts.

As you can guess, since the coalition government was elected, funding for charitable & education projects has been drastically cut around the country, this has affected all museums, and is going to make our negotiations a tad tougher to get the best deal for the UKPS before the cutbacks were announced.

We will certainly keep you and everyone else posted on the issues/details when we get them.

#30 chrismdunford

chrismdunford

UKPS Treasurer

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:16 PM

Just to add to Keith's comment, Amberley have said that they still support the project and hope that we can "reach a satisfactory development". The original agreement was fairly straightforward; they would do the groundwork and supply us with a level base to build on with power supplied, we would be responsible for the actual buildings. Exactly what the proposal is now is somewhat unclear. They say they want to be sure that we have sufficient funds in place to complete the project, but what exactly we will be paying for is also unclear at this stage.

At our meeting with the trustees we will thrash out the detail so that we know exactly where we stand and will then be in a better position to decide on the future of the project.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users