im not sure on other people experiences but my first star roller used a drill but i could not get the the speed to stay the same it would often speed up slightly or slow down depending on torque from the load. i also found it didnt have enough torque on slow speeds (this might be more that it was a cheep drill as i tried with my bosh battery drill as it has gears to slow it down and had a lot of torque but at £260 i wasnt going to use that lol.
my final made star roller motor was sourced by cooperman (a 24V wheelchair motor) it came with all the gears and more torque than i will ever need. it has never let me down yet.
i then used a dc speed controller from ebay.
Edited by PyroPDC, 23 April 2010 - 12:59 AM.