• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:11 PM

Looking to keep the mill noise down I found that ceramic balls made less noise than lead balls. Does anyone have real experience of the milling efficacy of the same mill with lead or ceramic balls.

Do they do the job in the same time or different. I'm guessing that ceramic balls take longer but does anyone have real world knowledge please?
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#2 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:12 PM

Looking to keep the mill noise down I found that ceramic balls made less noise than lead balls. Does anyone have real experience of the milling efficacy of the same mill with lead or ceramic balls.

Do they do the job in the same time or different. I'm guessing that ceramic balls take longer but does anyone have real world knowledge please?

For me lead, if you're running a small mill say 4” you need that weight to get the job done. Ceramic just doesn't have it.
Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

#3 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:40 PM

I use ceramic. It does the job for me.

It has to be said though I don't have a small mill. It takes a 20kg charge of ceramic. If it were lead I would not be able to lift it, as it would be over 100kg.

Yes lead can be more effective especially in a small mill jar. However Ceramic works great too due to the hardness of the media when compared to lead. The only thing I would say is that a wider diameter jar is preferable.

D
Phew that was close.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users