• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Deano 1

Deano 1

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:09 PM

Thought I'd share my latest bit of bling, 3 hours in total on my drill press again. Thanks to Pudi again for the rocket sketcher. I think I need a lathePosted Image .
http://i438.photobuc...ro/DSCF0629.jpg
http://i438.photobuc...ro/DSCF0631.jpg
I custom'd it to give a space in the tube to act as a resinator for the whistle, although I have yet to test it I think it will work as well as the others.
Our saviours : In the ninth century, a team of Chinese alchemists trying to synthesize an "elixir of immortality" from saltpeter, sulfur, realgar, and dried honey instead invented gunpowder.

#2 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:19 PM

your very talented indeed! but i don't know how long the bearings in your drill will last there not designed for lateral thrust like a lathe, just think if you had a lathe you could do a bit of milling to, "drool" how much fun would you have, try doing this with a drill lol,
by the way how is the spindle fixed to the base?

#3 Deano 1

Deano 1

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:39 PM

your very talented indeed! but i don't know how long the bearings in your drill will last there not designed for lateral thrust like a lathe, just think if you had a lathe you could do a bit of milling to, "drool" how much fun would you have, try doing this with a drill lol,
by the way how is the spindle fixed to the base?

Cheers Chris, This drill press is one of the old nutool ones and it seems to take everything I throw at it (bless). The base is like rivet pressed onto the bar, the brass bar is some old shelf hangers off an old wall unit that I broke up about 10 years ago and I just utilised what was there. I'm going to make one more spindle to suit these rammers and I'll thead that one to screw into my block, unfortunately thats it for my stock of brass.Posted Image
Our saviours : In the ninth century, a team of Chinese alchemists trying to synthesize an "elixir of immortality" from saltpeter, sulfur, realgar, and dried honey instead invented gunpowder.

#4 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:03 PM

nice bit of recycling sir!, i see what your trying to achieve leaving the "shank" of the spindle longer to aide resonating, this isn't necessary a 12/15 mm shank is fine, ive experimented with longer spindle shanks and found the cardboard tube can distort/crush whilst pressing even in a sleeve.
a word or two on whistle its very powerful stuff, always press it, and adding metal fuels especially titanium makes it more sensitive to impact, so-its the consensus not to use more that 7% in a whistle propellant, with sponge or spherical( if you can find it spherical) being the preferred choice titanium also scratches your lovely tooling!
also.. now you've made the tooling, you'll need to work out which "whistle fuel" will suit it the benzoate whistles are slower and need longer spindles, the salicylate faster..
edit: ive just checked out your youtube page, well done on the whistle motors -_-

Edited by chris m, 19 April 2010 - 11:10 PM.

#5 rocketpro

rocketpro

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:11 AM

-----

Edited by rocketpro, 06 August 2010 - 10:53 AM.

Who tests the tester.

#6 Deano 1

Deano 1

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:33 PM

Thanks fellas, I've tested one tonight. 9.5 ID, 57mm long and they only need 4.2 grams of sodium benzoate mix, well! what can I say, fantastic. The whistle was very loud and it went very high, I also loaded the top 10mm with clay just to see if it was capable of lifting a report or micro stars, another result.Posted Image

#7 parabolic

parabolic

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:40 PM

Deano 1, what comp formula did you use with the sodium benz and what pressure did you press it too? cheers

#8 Deano 1

Deano 1

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:31 PM

Deano 1, what comp formula did you use with the sodium benz and what pressure did you press it too? cheers

I used the pyroguide comp and method, and as far as pressure, I haven't got a clue. I just use my record 53 joiners vice and stop when it feels right Posted Image
http://www.pyroguide...stle_rocket_mix

Edited by Deano 1, 21 April 2010 - 08:37 PM.

#9 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:05 PM

Just a couple of words on pressing rockets.

Add any metals after one increment above your spindle height.
If using titanium for a tail, spherical or flake are best, sponge is too risky in my opinion.

It's acceptable to have pressure wrinkles in your tubes, it can happen with NEPT tubes even when they are well sleeved, reducing the increment size helps.
Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users