3 replies to this topic

#1 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:40 AM

Does it or doesn't it? Many compositions have 5% charcoal in them, which I guessed was for ignitability, but now I've heard that it "bleaches" the flame. :unsure:
"This salt, formerly called hyperoxymuriate of potassa, is
used for sundry preparations, and especially for experimental
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#2 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:39 PM

Yes charcoal can add the white continuum to a flame spectrum bleaching or disguising the colour, BUT some comps will not burn steadily without some charcoal.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#3 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:24 PM

Hm, I was thinking about star comps. Electric Magenta and Hardt Green #6 both contain 5% of charcoal, though both give excellent colours in my opinion.

Someone on this forum said that the potassium perchlorate in Hardt Green #6 makes the green impure, while a Swedish pyro friend said that charcoal effects the colour more.

I have tested both and the colours seem OK, though I think that it's quite possible to remove both the potassium perchlorate from Hardt Green #6 as well as charcoal from both, though I'm not absolutely sure.

"This salt, formerly called hyperoxymuriate of potassa, is
used for sundry preparations, and especially for experimental
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#4 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:07 AM

One of the big things about charcoal is that it contains appreciable amounts of ash in some cases. It can be washed out with acid if you're concerned. A few percent can improve the color in some cases. It will "eat up" oxygen before other things such as metals or metal ions can get it. This can reduce stronger black body emitters, or unwanted colorant species. It also smooths burn, and helps ignitability.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users