• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:38 AM

I was directed to www.pyro-stuff.com from a post I'd made on passfire. Member rene put a link to it saying that shipping to EU has been reduced in the last few weeks

I just wondered if anyone has used them? any feedback, and are they reliable?

Maxman

Edited by maxman, 19 May 2010 - 11:41 AM.

#2 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:16 PM

hmm the range looks "limited" compared to wolter and the spindle base's look to thin for me a bit "cheap and chearful"

#3 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:27 PM

mmm Wolter tools, very nice. I have a few of these, my only gripe being that the crossette tools do not as standard come in cardboard tube friendly sizes. My 2" is exactly 2" so a 2 1/4 inch mortar is req'd.

Great quality however and specials to order. Really nice people to deal with, super friendly.

Allot of the stuff on the site looks like the standard Chinese stuff, which should be able to be had cheaper.

This site sells the same ones (not the rocket tools) CLICKY for half the price. I have talked to a Chinese manufacturer about these and they are far cheaper again.
Phew that was close.

#4 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:39 AM

They are honest and polite, though their prices are a bit high.
"This salt, formerly called hyperoxymuriate of potassa, is
used for sundry preparations, and especially for experimental
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#5 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:20 AM

Thanks guys that's good enough for me. I am interested in this 10mm star plate I can't do a $244 & shipping, Wolter star plate justice so looking for a decent quality one that is cheaper, I know the Wolter one makes more stars per press but thats not the big issue.

Unless anyone can direct me to something along those lines but cheaper, I might just order it

Also, anyone know where to get schedule 40 for sleeves from other than colepalmer?

Maxman

#6 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:45 AM

Thanks guys that's good enough for me. I am interested in this 10mm star plate I can't do a $244 & shipping, Wolter star plate justice so looking for a decent quality one that is cheaper, I know the Wolter one makes more stars per press but thats not the big issue.

Unless anyone can direct me to something along those lines but cheaper, I might just order it

Also, anyone know where to get schedule 40 for sleeves from other than colepalmer?

Maxman

The same 10mm one is 17 Euro's from supremepyro (she is pretty helpful too). I don't know what the shipping is, but I will guess it will still work out cheaper that that one.

I made my own star plate with a drill press, a fiver's worth of plastic and a couple of quids worth of brass in a few of hours.

As to the sched 40, what size and how much do you need and I will send some through (you pay the postage). I assume you are after stainless steel. EDIT maybe not if you are after PVC

Edited by digger, 20 May 2010 - 09:46 AM.

Phew that was close.

#7 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:05 AM

Thanks for that Digger, I'll check out the shipping but looks like a big saving. I'm just after a couple of sleeves really so thought sch40 pvc might be the way to go?? for a 4oz tube and a full size and cut down 1lb tube also.

Maxman

#8 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:53 AM

I have an almost identical 10mm star plate - it works fine and is very economical in terms of composition use.

I'm just after a couple of sleeves really so thought sch40 pvc might be the way to go??

I'm not sure that sch40 PVC is available as such in the UK, but I've seen it in differing pressure grades at trade plumbing suppliers. Might be worth a few calls...

#9 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:01 PM

Thanks Brightstar, I've just emailed them to see how much the shipping is and how they take payment. There is no picture of the starplate on their site so wondered how many stars it makes too.

Maxman

#10 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:10 PM

It's probably the exact same star plate, just getting shipped straight from China/Hong Kong. I've used them before, and well, you get what you pay for. Make sure to put the pins in the right way, and don't use any Titanium/ferrotitanium. A polishing of the inside of the female plate every so often really helps keep the stars coming out easily.

#11 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:49 PM

Thanks for that Digger, I'll check out the shipping but looks like a big saving. I'm just after a couple of sleeves really so thought sch40 pvc might be the way to go?? for a 4oz tube and a full size and cut down 1lb tube also.

Maxman

in the not to distant future, i be able to make custom clamshells,and a range of tooling at a price thats right!

#12 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:07 PM

Clamshells, now that's got to beat jubilee clips as long as your tubes are of a consistent size,
there have been inconsistencies even with NEPT tubes, at least with clips you have a little to play with.
Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

#13 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:30 PM

I would like a clamshell but just need something to get me going for the moment then I can try out the new press.

Maxman

#14 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:06 PM

I would like a clamshell but just need something to get me going for the moment then I can try out the new press. Maxman

For support sleeves just cut down some waste pipe to the length and the wanted diameter, wire it up to close the gap and then place in boiling water allow to cool and then remove the wires, don't forget you need double sleeving.

Edited by fflach, 20 May 2010 - 09:08 PM.

Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

#15 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:02 PM

in the not to distant future, i be able to make custom clamshells,and a range of tooling at a price thats right!

So Chris do you have an new mill on the way? CNC 5 axis control?

I made my own clamshells and appreciate how much work goes into them. Milling everything true, drilling bolting tapping and then setting them up in a 4 jaw chuck to bore the center. Took me about 3 hours to make my set.
Phew that was close.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users