pentalyn resin

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:43 AM

I recently found a container of pentalyn resin in my shed,and after a little research believe it is basically Rosin. Can anyone confirm (A) weather or not this is true and (B) if it has any interesting pyro uses, it looks like it might make a good fuel/binder for water sensitive stars/comps. It is amber in colour and looks rather like a lump of pine resin which has been left to harden and then broken up with a hammer.
Also can it be ball milled ? and if it is useful is it generally available ?
Yo Ho Ho, a pyro's life for me

#2 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:20 PM

According to passfire 'Rosin' is distilled from turpentine and is used in blue formulas, but doesn't give any examples.

#3 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:50 PM

I recently found a container of pentalyn resin in my shed,and after a little research believe it is basically Rosin. Can anyone confirm (A) weather or not this is true and (B) if it has any interesting pyro uses, it looks like it might make a good fuel/binder for water sensitive stars/comps. It is amber in colour and looks rather like a lump of pine resin which has been left to harden and then broken up with a hammer.
Also can it be ball milled ? and if it is useful is it generally available ?

Posted Image

It is rosin complexed with other acids. I believe the composition varies. I know what you are talking about as I have used this before from a hobby shop resource with potassium perchlorate and an experimental copper salt. It does burn quite well.

#4 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:04 AM

I tried a mix with this stuff yesterday, pot perc,pentalyn resin,cuperous chloride,acetone. rather unscientific as may scales are knackered so i just guestimated amounts. The end result was rather slow burning orange with a few small flecks of blue/green flame, but a lot of black smoke.

Not the most successful test ever.

#5 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 01:42 PM

The orange flame and black smoke are signs that there is incomplete combustion.

This could be caused by the formula being too fuel rich, or it could be a result of the particle size of the rosin being too large. If it all dissolved in the acetone however, particle size should not be a problem.

I've heard thast it can be ball milled as long as it does not get too warm. Keeping it damp during ball milling might be a good idea too.
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#6 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 02:09 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head, under oxidised.
I'll give it another go when i get some new scales.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users