20 replies to this topic

#1 ianeagles

ianeagles

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:10 PM

Hi all,

Just a quick question regarding the requirments and locations for storage of Cat 4. Ive looked on the HSE website and they do not specify a certain location, Safe distances etc.
For example outbuildings in a built up residential area or neighbouring buisness park, Safe distances away from other buildings and public etc.

I dont want to waste my time applying for a licence if it is clear that you have to achieve certain distances and other requirements etc.

Thanx for your help

Ian

#2 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:26 PM

MSER rules! Get a copy it's free download search MSER 2005. All the tables are there.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#3 ianeagles

ianeagles

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:38 PM

Thanx arthur for the quick reply, greatly appreciated.

How are u?

Ian

#4 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:44 PM

http://www.hse.gov.u...rms/exguide.pdf

this one is a bit easier to read, i found it very helpful when i applied for my licence.

though most of the mser don't apply if you only applying to the local council for 1.3 / 1.4 storage

Edited by PyroPDC, 08 June 2010 - 11:32 AM.

#5 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:00 AM

To ever so slightly hijack this thread!

Does anyone know/have any experience of a small firework store using a conventional (brick/block etc) construction rather than the usual shipping container?
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#6 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:43 AM

The link to the guide is useful. One thing to note though it is not the full ACOP, there is much more info and explanation in the full ACOP. Rather just a useful guide for when making applications.

Phil there are tables for conventional brick built structures. They are also in file that PyroPDC has linked to.
Phew that was close.

#7 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:22 PM

Phil there are tables for conventional brick built structures. They are also in file that PyroPDC has linked to.

Thanks Gareth.

I just wondered if anyone had actually built or seen a brick built 'garden CAT 4' store. Shipping containers seem a de facto standard now & I wondered if the inspectors etc favoured them as the-right-way-to-do-things...
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#8 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:03 PM

I just wondered if anyone had actually built or seen a brick built 'garden CAT 4' store. Shipping containers seem a de facto standard now

As an adjunct, do we know how this affects planning permission? A shipping container is demonstrably a temporary structure...

#9 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:22 PM

As an adjunct, do we know how this affects planning permission? A shipping container is demonstrably a temporary structure...

Tricky one

I guess if it is a small volume store more than 5 meters from a building without any services then you may be able get away without planning permission as long as it is not for business use.

A quick chat with the local planning officer should do the trick.
Phew that was close.

#10 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:22 PM

A brick structure needs a bigger safety distance than a metal structure for the same HT and NEC so in reality a "shipping container" for say 20Kilos would be better as a suitable "Van Vault" tm or other steel container that can be secured to prevent access and theft.

A very functional store container is an on-street shoe recycling container with modified door. Steel, weather resistant, and tall enough to have a door rather than a lid. I spoke once with LMB who seem to be one supplier of recycling containers and are based at Canning Town and they were quite happy to sell them, even mod them first.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#11 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:11 PM

A brick structure needs a bigger safety distance than a metal structure for the same HT and NEC

i thought it was the same distance if you only wanted 1.3 / 1.4 storage. i was told by my licensing officer that it didn't mater what it was made of as long as the inside was not metal (aka ply the walls for metal container)

all the rules change for 1.1 which is why very little people have them. so if you dont want 1.1 then it will be easy

Edited by PyroPDC, 08 June 2010 - 07:42 PM.

#12 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:25 PM

all the rules change for 1.1 which is why very little people have them.

Is that 'cos the doors are very small? - Sorry Paul, could not resist...
Posted Imagethegreenman

#13 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:41 PM

Is that 'cos the doors are very small? - Sorry Paul, could not resist...

lol :P

#14 Atom Fireworks

Atom Fireworks

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:46 AM

Instead of starting a new thread i thought ide ask this question here as it seems appropriate. When we say shipping containers we are talking about containers complieing with the ISO standard. Does this mean that a metal container not complient with the ISO standard cannot be used for our purposes?

Jay

#15 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:04 PM

Instead of starting a new thread i thought ide ask this question here as it seems appropriate. When we say shipping containers we are talking about containers complieing with the ISO standard. Does this mean that a metal container not complient with the ISO standard cannot be used for our purposes?

Jay

shipping containers are fine, (ISO or not) but most inspectors will ask the inside to be lined with wood. (mine tried to tell me if i threw a shell at the wall it could cause a spark (i told him i only play pyro baseball outside :rolleyes:) they like to think there doing their job so just smile. best thing to do is phone your trading standards/ fire brigade (depending who deals with it on your area) and have a good talk with them. (once i had been passed to the right person after 3 different council’s, 8 different departments.:wacko: they were quite helpful

Edited by PyroPDC, 30 August 2010 - 01:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users