• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:13 PM

Instead of starting a new thread i thought ide ask this question here as it seems appropriate. When we say shipping containers we are talking about containers complieing with the ISO standard. Does this mean that a metal container not complient with the ISO standard cannot be used for our purposes?

Jay

No there's no problem with other metal containers as long as they're suitable secure, weatherproof and fireproof. People use ISO containers presumably because they're the most readily available such article, though with their current price being quite high if you know someone who's handy at welding you might be able to make something from scratch a bit cheaper.
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#17 exat808

exat808

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:18 PM

No there's no problem with other metal containers as long as they're suitable secure, weatherproof and fireproof. People use ISO containers presumably because they're the most readily available such article, though with their current price being quite high if you know someone who's handy at welding you might be able to make something from scratch a bit cheaper.

Unlike the storage of high explosives for which the method of store construction is prescribed by the HSE (HSE Circular to Chief Officers of Police 1/2005) the storage of fireworks of any category does not have such a document. What is prescribed however are the safety requirements such as lightning protection and general storage housekeeping rules established by the Approved Code of Practice to MSER 2005. There is a general security provision still found in one of the remaining sections (S23) of the 1875 Explosives Act which says that the occupier of any place where explosives are stored shall take all due precautions to prevent unauthorised access to the explosives therein. Basically, keep your store secure!
So you may construct your store of any suitable material, make it compliant internally with MSER (ACOP), secure it to comply with S23 of EA 1875, site it to comply with the separation distances of MSER and you should have a happly licensing officer!

Edited by exat808, 31 August 2010 - 02:06 PM.

#18 Atom Fireworks

Atom Fireworks

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:09 PM

Thanks fellas you advice and knowledge is much appreciated.

Jay

#19 Atom Fireworks

Atom Fireworks

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:14 PM

Hey peep's something i was wondering and havent yet found a relevant post or piece of literature. When considering a storage location and you have set distances and so forth, what about animals I.E cattle in a field. Can you put a storage facility in a field that will be used for live stock???

Jay

#20 exat808

exat808

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:19 PM

Hey peep's something i was wondering and havent yet found a relevant post or piece of literature. When considering a storage location and you have set distances and so forth, what about animals I.E cattle in a field. Can you put a storage facility in a field that will be used for live stock???

Jay

Yes. I have a 400kg 1.1 store in a field that is full of sheep most of the year and horses occasionally. Many commercial stores are in rural out of the way locations.
The criteria for distances is set by inhabited buildings, roads, railways and waterways, and also places where people gather such as parks and sportsgrounds.

#21 Atom Fireworks

Atom Fireworks

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:22 PM

Cheers exat i understand the distances from all the obsticles mentioned as ive read the MSER all be it briefly. I just did not see anywhere it mention live stock, thanks for the answer matey that opens up a whole new set of possible locations.

Jay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users