10 replies to this topic

#1 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:48 AM

I bought a small amount of course 40 mesh Magnesium and to the life of me I cannot grind it one bit, either in a coffee mill or by hand. I am wondering if anyone knows where I can buy Magnesium powder in 100 or more mesh range? I never knew how hard it would be to grind the dam thing.
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#2 CCH Concepts

CCH Concepts

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:45 AM

have you tried leaving it in a ball mill over night (as long as no oxydizer has been used in the mill)

#3 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:27 PM

Careful chaps... Freshly milled or ground magnesium is pyrophoric and likely to ignite in your face when you open the jar.

The problem with finding fine Mg powder is that it tends to oxidise over time when stored, so you usually end up with a good percentage of MgO if the source is unkown. Fine magnallium makes a good substitute in most formulae.

#4 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:33 PM

The only problem with Magnalium in my case is the fact that it leaves aluminium behind as a by product of the sulphate or carbonate reaction though its usable and workable it just requires a small edition of perc to help clean it up a little. Magnesium seems the more likely choice to me for a cleaner more steady flame.
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#5 CCH Concepts

CCH Concepts

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:49 PM

does anyone know of a safe process of milling Mg.

also can it be stored in oil and then rinced and dried before use?

#6 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:26 PM

This combined with Lloyd's accident has put me off ever trying to mill Mg - seems like more danger than its worth.

http://www.pyrosocie...lling-accident/

#7 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:49 PM

Magnesium seems the more likely choice to me for a cleaner more steady flame.

Most ordinary lab suppliers don't go finer than about 100 microns. Keten claims to do freshly milled Mg in a range of sizes from 60 mesh to 240 mesh to dust (look up his feedback on here first though). Svenska Kemi seem to do fine stuff passivated with Paraffin though the mesh size is unspecified...

Edited by BrightStar, 03 July 2010 - 01:52 PM.

#8 CCH Concepts

CCH Concepts

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 03:31 PM

well that answers that question. i was woundering about fine Ti would that be an alternative?

#9 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:36 AM

well that answers that question. i was woundering about fine Ti would that be an alternative?

An alternative for coloured stars?

I can see pretty significant flame pollution issues...

I would be interested in the result though.
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#10 CCH Concepts

CCH Concepts

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 01:59 AM

well from what i can see Ti burns in a similar spectrum to Mg and appears to be similarly reactive, i have heard of Ti/KClO4 flash (but was warned it was to friction sensitive) so would this work with in a star? could be interesting if it does with varying mesh's.

#11 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:47 PM

well from what i can see Ti burns in a similar spectrum to Mg and appears to be similarly reactive, i have heard of Ti/KClO4 flash (but was warned it was to friction sensitive) so would this work with in a star? could be interesting if it does with varying mesh's.

Nooooo, they're quite different :( . Titanium vapourises at something like 3 times the temperature of Mg, hence will always tend to make sparks rather than burn to enhance a flame. Also, MgO (emits bright white light) is easily reduced to MgCl (colourless) in the flame, Ti less so I would guess. Keep Ti for adding spark trails for Mg/MgAl fuelled stars I think :)
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users