• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 30 March 2003 - 07:14 PM

I was at a demonstartion evening given by one of the largest fireworks importers the other week, and noticed that they had some rockets which appeared to use a propellant I hadn't seen before. There was very little in the way of a tail (almost like a shell fuse), just a small amber coloured (sodium) flame. However they did seem to reach a very good height for the calibre of motor and the payload. has anyone any ideas as to what the propellant might be?

#2 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 30 March 2003 - 10:31 PM

Sounds like a composite formula, perhaps something similar to para flare motors. (These use a phenolic resin formula cast into a venturi case)

#3 robert johnson

robert johnson

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 07:15 PM

I have seen in the states people using phenolic resin compounds moulded in to the cases under a vacume. there good and powerful but for firework motors they often lack any tail.

#4 brocade

brocade

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 09:26 PM

these composite motors are very powerfull, fast and will carry a reasonable load however you don't tend to get any tail from these and I don't think you can beat a good bp rocket for a decent gold tail and made properly will carry the weight of a 4" shell and still go ballistic

#5 robert johnson

robert johnson

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 06:40 PM

absolutely spot on old man.
Although I am able to lift 4" shells on the motors and I have done . I really would not recommend it as these shells do have a very large diameter when they burst open. I stick to 3" shells with the knowledge that they will happily lift 4" if required.

#6 brocade

brocade

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 10:51 PM

you read my mind only put 4" shells as rocket heading for R&D purposes otherwise when a crowd is present no larger than 3" shell is used.

#7 robert johnson

robert johnson

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 07:59 PM

That will be ?5.00 please!

#8 brocade

brocade

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 09:37 PM

Its in the post

#9 robert johnson

robert johnson

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 12 April 2003 - 07:24 AM

when I see you some time I have just finished my next piece of tooling for the rockets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users