53 replies to this topic

#31 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 02:06 PM

I don't have any experience with plastic shells, but I have read that a few layers of kraft paper can be very effective in strengthening them up (virgin kraft obviously being preferable.

#32 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 06:18 PM

sasman,

The strapping tape is usually clear with several strands of glassfibre filaments running along it. You *might* find it at a stationary shop or a big post office. Most likely though you will need to order it.

http://www.aid-pack....oductId=1278750

I have often thought of putting together an order for paper / tape materials. This company (I have an account with) also does gummed paper tape, kraft (even coloured kraft - make those pieces look extra 'mmm') etc.

How does that sound??
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#33 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

Light Up The Sky - KF Pyro Crew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 06:38 PM

Sounds "extra mmmm" Adam :)
KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#34 Paintballislife

Paintballislife

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 02:30 AM

one would assume that someone could/should/would make a biodegradable, sturdy shell. that would be a great feat, but possibly expensive.

#35 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 09:23 AM

Well, I never use plastic for shells. It not difficult to make a good round shell out of newspapers. Blesers gives quite a good procedure that works fine - but is quite slow as you need the paper layers to dry in between.

For the external pasting for the shell, kraft is still the better option, but for the inside.... anything will do.

#36 Jerronimo

Jerronimo

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 11:15 AM

Maybe this is kind of offtopic, but has anyone experienced problems when ordering from pyroplastics.com?
I made an order in february and everything went fine, friendly service,quick replies and fast delivery.

Now I sent another order about a moth ago and still no reply :blink: .
I tried emailling them a couple of times but they just won't respond.
They realy are the only choice when it comes to value for money.
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

#37 italteen3

italteen3

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 04:05 PM

Well, I never use plastic for shells. It not difficult to make a good round shell out of newspapers. Blesers gives quite a good procedure that works fine - but is quite slow as you need the paper layers to dry in between.

For the external pasting for the shell, kraft is still the better option, but for the inside.... anything will do.

View Post

So BigG do you mean that the first half or less layers of a paper ball shell can be done with a tape of some kind? Then paste the remainder of the layers as usual?

I have seen a video of some Japanese shell makers pasting a small ball shell but looked like it was with tape that looked exactly like kraft. Any advantages over normal kraft?

#38 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 07:13 PM

So BigG do you mean that the first half or less layers of a paper ball shell can be done with a tape of some kind?? Then paste the remainder of the layers as usual??

I have seen a video of some Japanese shell makers pasting a small ball shell but looked like it was with tape that looked exactly like kraft.? Any advantages over normal kraft?

View Post

Well, generally you need some sphere to start with. Wrap it tightly with plastic film and started pasting strips of newspaper wetted with glue/water mix until you get about four layers. You then wait for it to dry and cut the paper ball off the sphere. It?s not easy, but because of the plastic film you should be able to get a neat looking two semi hemispheres. Those can be used to hold your stars and burst powder, and then pasted using regular Kraft.

Paper is very thin and really does not contribute to the strength of the shell. For five-inch shell I use about 4 layers of newspaper for semi-hemispheres, pasted with 12 layers of Kraft to finish.

Good examples with pictures can be found in a few publications, including the excellent one by David Blesser.

I uploaded an example of a 2.5 inch paper shell finished and cut (still need some sanding to smooth the edges) plus another 2 inch shell still on the former:

http://www.biggpyro....mages/phemi.jpg

Edited by BigG, 13 August 2004 - 08:01 PM.

#39 italteen3

italteen3

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 05:12 AM

Well, generally you need some sphere to start with. Wrap it tightly with plastic film and started pasting strips of newspaper wetted with glue/water mix until you get about four layers. You then wait for it to dry and cut the paper ball off the sphere. It?s not easy, but because of the plastic film you should be able to get a neat looking two semi hemispheres. Those can be used to hold your stars and burst powder, and then pasted using regular Kraft.

Paper is very thin and really does not contribute to the strength of the shell. For five-inch shell I use about 4 layers of newspaper for semi-hemispheres, pasted with 12 layers of Kraft to finish.

Good examples with pictures can be found in a few publications, including the excellent one by David Blesser.

I uploaded an example of a 2.5 inch paper shell finished and cut (still need some sanding to smooth the edges) plus another 2 inch shell still on the former:

http://www.biggpyro....mages/phemi.jpg

View Post

I am sorry BigG but I meant on already formed or strawboard hemis could a kraft tape be used then pasted over using the traditional method? For some time saving as the main purpose.

Though your explanation cleared up other questions I was about to ask, thankyou. :D

#40 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 10:08 AM

I am sorry BigG but I meant on already formed or strawboard hemis could a kraft tape be used then pasted over using the traditional method?  For some time saving as the main purpose. 

Though your explanation cleared up other questions I was about to ask, thankyou. :D

View Post

Well, I have seen masking-tape covered shells win awards. They are not nice looking, but there creators claim they work. Modern European construction methods utilize materials that will make the traditional builders faint in disbelief. The question as always is which group you rather be in: ?The quick, dirty but works? group, or the ?Traditional, nice, slowly and works? team.

Truly, it?s not always a quick choice. Most people who start in pyrotechnic actually belong to the first group ? and then, when the excitement wears off, they make the transition to the second group. Something to do with ?being a part of an OLD tradition?. Both ways work.

#41 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 11:20 AM

Jerronimo... I ordered from PP about half-way through the year and had no problems. It's unusual of them not to email back.

I have got quite a few proper paper hemi's - but I like to test new stars etc with plastic. When everything is right, it gets made properly from a pressed hemi and layers of pasted paper.
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#42 Patrick

Patrick

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 10:24 PM

Maybe this is kind of offtopic, but has anyone experienced problems when ordering from pyroplastics.com?
I made an order in february and everything went fine, friendly service,quick replies and fast delivery.

Now I sent another order about a moth ago and still no reply :blink: .
I tried emailling them a couple of times but they just won't respond.
They realy are the only choice when it comes to value for money.

View Post

I emailed them 3 times regarding a shipping quote, but nothing returned. I gave them a call today and of course no one was able to take my call. I left them a message, so I'll have to see if they get back to me.

They are only about 2 hours away, if I knew they were open I'd take a little road trip...

#43 Jerronimo

Jerronimo

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 11:03 AM

I emailed them 3 times regarding a shipping quote, but nothing returned.? I gave them a call today and of course no one was able to take my call.? I left them a message, so I'll have to see if they get back to me.?

They are only about 2 hours away, if I knew they were open I'd take a little road trip...

View Post

Mmmm, I'm glad that I'm not the only one with problems ordering from pyroplastics.
I also tried to contact them via my hotmailaccount, no responce
Then I tried to email her daughter faye, still nothing :( .

EDIT:

Just got a reply from Marcy Zurn, she was very busy the past 2 months
with various competitions and the PGI convention.
That explains why she didn't reply.

I'm glad everything is oke. :D

Edited by Jerronimo, 17 August 2004 - 06:20 PM.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

#44 Hary12

Hary12

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 11:53 AM

I make my shells from bottle caps, i usually get squres of craft and push them throught the cap pasting them as i go.
The shells work verry good for such small things, i dont see why using the bottle caps themselves as the shell wouldnt work. :D

#45 LadyKate

LadyKate

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 03:33 PM

Wouldnt plastic easter eggs work for shells? i know theyre not round, or cylindrical. What do y'all think? they're incredibly cheap just after easter
later
warren

View Post

Did you try this? I have a few left over from last year and I think I'll put something together and see whether it works. It seems like a logical combination - two tops of Easter eggs, when combined, make a round ball. And, you are right, they are really cheap - especially just after Easter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users