• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:53 PM

Nothing wrong with eratic flight if you can run fast enough!

Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#17 Deano 1

Deano 1

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:46 PM

These things are posing to be a very inspiring challenge:D .
Our saviours : In the ninth century, a team of Chinese alchemists trying to synthesize an "elixir of immortality" from saltpeter, sulfur, realgar, and dried honey instead invented gunpowder.

#18 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:17 PM

you may be able to modify embroidery/tapestry hoops/rings for the central portion, just one thing less to worry about...

#19 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:01 AM

I can`t see why a parachute can`t be incorporated into girondola design = softer landing!

#20 Deano 1

Deano 1

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:26 PM

I've been trying to make paper rings in a mould but its proving to be a messy pain in the arrrrse. So I've come up with another plan, hard board discs with lifting flaps, when it does its initial spin, the air gets under the flaps and creates lift, a bit like a hellicopter, then your serious motors kick in. You can then do one of two things; stand proud and say I MADE THAT or run and hide. I'm on to it.
Our saviours : In the ninth century, a team of Chinese alchemists trying to synthesize an "elixir of immortality" from saltpeter, sulfur, realgar, and dried honey instead invented gunpowder.

#21 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:59 PM

and i thought you could mold anything :) .
your hardboard disks, any holes for airflow, weight reduction?

#22 Deano 1

Deano 1

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:49 PM

and i thought you could mold anything :) .
your hardboard disks, any holes for airflow, weight reduction?

:rolleyes: its the simpler things in life that seem to grind me down, like wet sticky newspaper:lol:
The discs I've got in mind have holes, but they are in the form of a flap ( three sides of a square cut and hinged up to create a foil ). I need to do some tests on motors versus weight, could be a lengthy project this one, but I'm up for the challenge (as long as wet sticky paper's out ). I'm off on my jollies for a week, so plenty of time to think but no tinternet:huh: . I'll be back.

#23 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:10 PM

Another smaller effect similar to these without having to build an entire wheel of rockets can be made by creating a hummer with two layers. The first layer firing out the bottom and the side fusehole, then the next layer firing only out the side fusehole. In single-shot candles, it creates quite an interesting effect. I use to make lots of them and bring them over to a friend's place where we'd light them by themselves. My own mixture was just black powder with 10% charcoal and atomized aluminum by weight.

It doesn't go up and down very well. In fact, they're quite erratic, but the effect is nonetheless amusing, and I'd imagine it would do well in star mines (Never tried it myself as I like my mines to look uniform but my imagination is filling in the blanks).

Here's my ten second MS Paint example.

Posted Image

#24 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:33 PM

I have recovered a couple of these(single stage) from a display i did recently, their still fairly well in tact so if anyone wants them to have a play with just let me know. I believe the two stage ones 'simply' have two sets of drivers/motors with a slight delay.
The single stage ones don't have that much of a erratic flight, but where they land is another question all together especially with any sort of wind. as far as i know they are only available as cat 4.

certainly one of my favourite fireworks :rolleyes:
Yo Ho Ho, a pyro's life for me

#25 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:51 PM

whats the typical cost of these things,per unit for a display operator? just wondering they look labor intensive to make

#26 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:42 PM

girondola.jpg

Here's a commercial one from the EARS/UKPS event of a couple of years ago - can't have been very expensive from the look of it (or very good as far as I can recall!).
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#27 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:05 PM

There are quite a few on pyrobin with varying construction - well worth a trawl through if you haven't seen them all. The 'styrocopter' is particularly interesting... got me thinking about using foam board or a similar material.

This one is one of my favourites - don't spose anyone has seen a better video of it?

http://www.pyrobin.c...d girandola.mpg

Edited by Creepin_pyro, 30 September 2010 - 11:06 PM.

#28 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:13 PM

These ones are string bound cane much like the ones in the photos posted earlier, but go like:- see link
Yo Ho Ho, a pyro's life for me

#29 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:36 PM

I saw this on pyrobin a while back, best to right clink and save better than trying to watch it streaming, you sure can knock out the drivers with a the Maltese drive rammer.

The Girandola experience
Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

#30 PyroCreationZ

PyroCreationZ

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:33 PM

There are quite a few on pyrobin with varying construction - well worth a trawl through if you haven't seen them all. The 'styrocopter' is particularly interesting... got me thinking about using foam board or a similar material.

This one is one of my favourites - don't spose anyone has seen a better video of it?

http://www.pyrobin.c...20girandola.mpg

Wow, haven't seen that one before but it looks NICE!
I like the glitter used in it. Those traces look awesome :)

YouTube account.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users