67 replies to this topic

#1 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:43 AM

Ok everyone, as we all know, we are in danger of gradually losing our traditional british Nov 5th garden bonfire night celebrations due various factors involving either dubious legislation in favour of `Diwali` celebrations lasting longer than ours for no apparent justification, or to over-the-top bonfire lighting safety distances or halloween and other continuing bannings of fireworks we use to love.

In 2003, many of the famous sussex bonfire street parades societies tried to get there celebrations protected under the banner of `Intangible Cultural Heritage`, but found that the `UK` did not have representation on the international stage with its `ICH` association to UNESCO.

The direct response/advice from the sussex bonfire societies is for everyone to write to there MP`s on this matter, rather than just carry on with your celebrations hoping everything will not be forgotten.

According to the opinion of the sussex guys, If we get our bonfire & firework celebrations officially protected on the international stage, this will mean that current legislation can not be altered = meaning our own government can not take it or legislate it away!

I have recieved a favourable written reply from my tory MP, he is going to write on my behalf to the secretary of state for culture media & sport (MP Jeremy Hunt) on these issues.

So if your a display operator, a enthusiast, collector, firework maker, hobbyist, retail or trade seller of fireworks or a member of the general public who cares about our bonfire & firework traditions, please please would you make the effort and email your local MPs!,...the more people who write, the sooner the current governments so called `Big Society` will happen,.....lets call there bluff!

Edited by crystal palace fireworks, 15 September 2010 - 11:52 AM.

#2 relisys

relisys

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:17 AM

I think this need to be posted on a few forums....

#3 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:59 AM

I think this need to be posted on a few forums....

Thanks relisys, Im not a member of other firework forums, would someone on here be willing to do this?

#4 Atom Fireworks

Atom Fireworks

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:45 PM

CPF consider it done on my behalf in manchester.

JAy

#5 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:49 PM

CPF consider it done on my behalf in manchester.

JAy

Thanks Jay!

#6 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:32 PM

dubious legislation in favour of `Diwali` celebrations lasting longer than ours for no apparent justification

Do you work for the Daily Mail??

#7 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:35 AM

Do you work for the Daily Mail??

I once worked for all the national newspapers, why do you ask?

#8 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:43 AM

lol, theres a coincidence...

I ask due to the nature of your post, more specifically the part I quoted above, just sounded quite Daily Mail esque

#9 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:10 AM

I can understand the reference, maybe I should have clarified the point better in this particular posting = point taken!

If you look at my other forum posting on Bonfire v Diwali, you will see my concerns with regard to the 2004 firework regulations on night hours.

Thanks

#10 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:55 AM

just not sure you can compare the two really...

We live in a multicultural society and our "new year" is treated the same as those who live by a different calendar, Chinese New Year for example...

Edited by Starsky72, 16 September 2010 - 08:56 AM.

#11 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:04 AM

One of our many strengths is that we are a 'mongrel nation' having grabbed bits of different cultures over the last 2000 or more years.

I think we only get nervous when other cultures seek to supplant, rather than add to and enrich our own.

Any new opportunity to have a firework display sounds good to me, be it Diwali or Klingon new year!
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#12 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:07 AM

Any new opportunity to have a firework display sounds good to me, be it Diwali or Klingon new year!

exactly :)

#13 RFD

RFD

RFD

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:50 PM

Oooh!!!, hav"nt got the Klingon new year in the book of excuses to let off fireworks,when is it Phil, just in case it clashes with the " surviving the dearly beloveds cooking for another year bash".

#14 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:00 PM

just not sure you can compare the two really...

We live in a multicultural society and our "new year" is treated the same as those who live by a different calendar, Chinese New Year for example...

With respect Im not sure you understand where Im coming from on this particular issue. To me its not really a question of comparing the two (although I am unclear as to the specific point you are making), or whether we agree, dislike or live in a multiculturalistic society. To me this detracts the argument away from my initial questioning & concerns about government devising legislation that can seem to favour one section of our society above another for no apparent reason.

The question on this particular issue is about the justification, reason, & clarity regarding one part of the 2004 firework legislation `Night Hours`© in respect to why `Diwali` firework celebrations are allowed to last until 1.00am, and why bonfire night is curtailed at midnight,.....given we accept, understand, and agree to the chinese and christian new year which celebrate the passing of one calendar year into another = 1.00am finish = great and fine by me!.

I too want to see more firework related celebrations for obvious reasons, but we should not be afraid to ask authorities honest legitimate questions with respect to what some of us seem or deem to be unfair to others.

More importantly, one of the main issues for a society like ours is to preserve our Nov 5th bonfire heritage in anyway we can. the benefits will also have far reaching effects on other cultural groups who want to preserve there UK celebrations or events = more work for display companies like yours.

If we email or write to our MP`s to ask the UK to sign-up the `Intangible Cultural Heritage` charter that comes under the juristiction of UNESCO, then the better for all of us!

#15 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:16 PM

I can understand petitioning the relevan authorities to request equal laws surrounding fireworks with other "celebrations" - and I understand the desire to preserve our tradtions and cultural heritage.However, my point is, the way its phrased comes across as very "us & them"

we are in danger of gradually losing our traditional british Nov 5th garden bonfire night celebrations due various factors involving either dubious legislation in favour of `Diwali` celebrations lasting longer than ours for no apparent justification

That statement in particular reads as you are saying the fireworks legislation for Diwali is in some way chipping away at what is allowed on Nov 5th, which of course is untrue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users