67 replies to this topic

#16 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:18 PM

I can understand petitioning the relevan authorities to request equal laws surrounding fireworks with other "celebrations" - and I understand the desire to preserve our tradtions and cultural heritage.However, my point is, the way its phrased comes across as very "us & them"

That statement in particular reads as you are saying the fireworks legislation for Diwali is in some way chipping away at what is allowed on Nov 5th, which of course is untrue.

I take your point, but do not necessarily agree with your statement = thats your interpretation. With respect, Its easy to choose & highlight one or two particular quotes on subsequent replies without including the overall posting and its message/picture. The end result could be regarded as being negative, and work against the efforts of some of us who are trying to achieve some good for the firework fraternity.

#17 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:13 PM

Hey, I dont want to labour the point but I just think a change of emphasis in your statement would make it read far less "Daily Mail"

#18 Peret

Peret

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:47 AM

By all means, get whatever statutory protection you can for the Nov 5th tradition. You gotta fight - for the right - to par-ty!

A more fundamental question to me is why the central government has any business at all legislating national hard cut-off times. That should be a matter for local authorities. It sounds like another piece of overreach by NewLiebor control freaks that's ripe for repealing, but good luck with that..

#19 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:53 AM

Hey, I dont want to labour the point but I just think a change of emphasis in your statement would make it read far less "Daily Mail"

Well, some might judge you may have surpassed the point of no return with respect to this obsession with the "Daily Mail", but hey, none of us are perfect ;) , although I suppose I could try harder next time, but then again I can`t gaurantee it won`t read like "The Sun" :unsure:

Apoligies, if I am a little delayed in replying to your next comment,.... but Ive got to get back to more important work like the Wells Museum project.

#20 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:11 AM

Well good luck with both.

#21 wayne

wayne

• Admin
  • 422 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:53 AM

This maybe of interest:

News item

Particularly the "killjoy council officials will find it much harder to ban firework displays"

Cheers,

Wayne.

#22 pyrogeoff

pyrogeoff

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:49 AM

That is good news,it is crazy the way the Elf and safety police have destroyed years of tradition, not just bonfire night,but kids climbing trees,conkers etc.

#23 Atom Fireworks

Atom Fireworks

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:04 PM

This sounds good and promising but so does all the other bull crap they come out with and never do !! Fingers crossed tho for sure.

#24 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:35 PM

This sounds good and promising but so does all the other bull crap they come out with and never do !! Fingers crossed tho for sure.

Too true, talk is cheap, action is rare...
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#25 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:11 AM

Ok chaps, I have recieved a reply via my MP (andrew rosindell) from the Minister for Tourism and Heritage - John Penrose MP, in respect of the `Intangible Cultural Heritage` question regarding my concerns involving the culture and historical significance of `British Bonfire Night` and why it has not been protected internationally, and the extension for Diwali firework celebrations until 1.00am.

Here is the minsters reply, quote; The UK recognises that intangible cultural heritage is important and supports the basic aims of the 2003 convention - you`ll appreciate that we`re keen for the intangible heritage of the UK to be properly nurtured and encouraged. However, the UK has not ratified this Convention and currently does not intend to, because we`re worried that the definitions of what constitutes the intangible cultural heritage are not clear, and also that legislation on this kind of issue could freeze some parts of our culture and prevent them from developing in a flexible, vibrant and creative way in future.

Under the 2004 fireworks regulations, Diwali was granted an extension allowing firework celebrations to last until 1.00am as it is a religious festival, and there are currently no plans to change this arrangement, interestingly, Diwali this year falls on 5 november.

Un-quote.

Edited by crystal palace fireworks, 13 October 2010 - 04:11 PM.

#26 Mixologist

Mixologist

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 05:39 PM

Under the 2004 fireworks regulations, Diwali was granted an extension allowing firework celebrations to last until 1.00am as it is a religious festival, and there are currently no plans to change this arrangement, interestingly, Diwali this year falls on 5 november.

Un-quote.

Interestingly then, this year your diwali bonfire night display can go on until 1 am therefore!

#27 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:17 PM

Interestingly then, this year your diwali bonfire night display can go on until 1 am therefore!

If you had a diwali bonfire night display = then yes, but would the authorities have any gripe towards persons celebrating guy fawkes night only celebrations by virtue of letting off fireworks until 1.00am on the same night (2010)?,.....it seems as if we have to pretend to be celebrating diwali for the last hour to comply with the statute irrespective of our personal beliefs = in the true spirit of things, this seems disrespectful to the diwali religious celebrations.

He also seems to be saying, if your festival is a religous one, then you automatically qualify to let off firework until 1.00am, and yet `new years eve` (fireworks until 1.00am) is not a religious festival!

More importantly on the intangible cultural heritage front, the reply from the Minister is very frustrating & confusing,.....he doesn`t explain in detail or give examples as to why he won`t allow the UK join this ICH 2003 convention.

What are they really afraid of? or should I say, what have they got planned that they are not telling us about? = another dent in freedom & liberty.

I also wonder if he would give the same reply to delegates from the chinese & diwali community if they wanted the UK to join the ICH 2003 convention to protect there celebrations??

#28 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:36 PM

Its all wrong they are killing british tradition off, anyone can slate me I dont care and if you do you aint BRITISH. You are right CPF why are we letting external entities be it religions or nationalities take away our pride, heritage, traditions, ways etc in favour of their own. Why do we need Diwali celebrations in a British country? anyone can call me racist and if so they are hypocritical fools as I am preservationist and preservative of our British ways. We need to keep Britain British and not change our ways to suit others because they may or do get upset. Nuff said!
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#29 chrismdunford

chrismdunford

UKPS Treasurer

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:48 PM

I don't think someone celebrating Diwali is taking away our pride, heritage or traditions. If we are letting these things die out the responsibility is ours. Many of the people who celebrate Diwali ARE British. I really don't see what all the fuss is about. I'm all for people celebrating, even if I do not share their beliefs. If someone starts telling me how I must live my life that is a different matter. If we care about our traditions we must celebrate them, not try to stop others having a good time.

#30 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:00 PM

Its all wrong they are killing british tradition off, anyone can slate me I dont care and if you do you aint BRITISH. You are right CPF why are we letting external entities be it religions or nationalities take away our pride, heritage, traditions, ways etc in favour of their own. Why do we need Diwali celebrations in a British country? anyone can call me racist and if so they are hypocritical fools as I am preservationist and preservative of our British ways. We need to keep Britain British and not change our ways to suit others because they may or do get upset. Nuff said!

Pyrotechnist; I think many of us share your passion & preservation in protecting many of our traditional british ways (even if we might not share some or all your political affiliations or views), as `Chris`D` has said, I can`t see how Diwali (festival of light) celebrations are in anyway taking away or killing off our guy fawkes bonfire night traditions, heritage, or pride. In fact there use of fireworks in there Hindu celebrations can only help to strengthen our guy fawkes cause and firework sales in general.

If anything my initial questioning is of the authorities lack of clarity, justification, fairness or reasoning in drafting legislation (or lack of it) that is not helping to preserve our Nov 5th celebrations.

In order to attempt to preserve our bonfire night traditions, we need to work on many fronts (which is what a core of us are trying to do) and in my opinion, we will succeed in time.

I will try and see if I can get some further detailed answers from the minister as to why he is reluctant for britain to join the ICH 2003 convention (both labour & tories have opposed this), but why?, Does this not fit into this governments `Big Society`?

I think it would be good if the UKPS would adopt or support this sometime in the next few years (hopefully we will more members by then), having said that, I would like to hear others opinions. I know the sussex bonfire societies got together a few years back without success, but I think we need to engage other groups for a concerted campaign just to join. We also must continue to write to our MP`s as individuals citizens = you never know, in the end he may get fed up from all the pestering and give-in! ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users