Photo

Purifying barium nitrate contaminated with nitric acid?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 04:59 PM

I have 1 kg of barium nitrate, that smelled just like NOx when I first opened the container.

When putting a universal indicator paper in the container, I found out in few minutes that they hadn't gotten rid of all the nitric acid by the process making the nitrate. The paper went completely dark red.

Is there anything I can do to remove the acid or should I just get rid of the barium nitrate? :unsure:

Edited by Pyroswede, 02 October 2010 - 04:59 PM.

"This salt, formerly called hyperoxymuriate of potassa, is
used for sundry preparations, and especially for experimental
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#2 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:33 PM

IF it is as simple as you say, then adding some barium carbonate will react with the acid to make more barium nitrate and some CO2, HOWEVER it must be done in water so you will have the crystals to dry off later, from the aqueous solution! Lots of energy!
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#3 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:41 PM

Oh, excellent. It didn't cost me much, but I hate the waste.:)

Just hope that I have enough barium carbonate. Maybe have some 25-50 grams or so. Have to check it out.
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#4 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:01 PM

Work on a small sample first! Say 100g nitrate powder dissolved in a minimum of warm water, then add barium carbonate til the fizzing slows or stops. Then evaporate off the water. Check with indicator paper -should be round neutral!

Soluble barium salts have dangers! And they skin absorb!
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#5 a_bab

a_bab

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:38 AM

Since he managed to make 1 kilo of it I'm sure he knows about the dangers of the Ba salts.

The answer to your issue was to check with litmus paper the solution of Ba nitrate before the crystalization started to take place. In practice this means to bring the solution to a boil and add some water since barium nitrate is not that soluble and the water brought by the acid/carbonate may not be enough to dissolve it.

Your bet now is adding more carbonate. An elegant solution if you have no more Ba carbonate is to use potassium carbonaten (if you have it :D) - the reulting nitrate won't effect the pyro flame, but no more ammonium perc greens too. The bad side is that if you are left with too much potassium carbonate the nitrate will be hygroscopical, which is why barium carbonate is preffered.

At any rate NEVER use that barium nitrate you have since it could auto-ignite the compos in certain conditions.

#6 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:36 AM

Oh, I didn't make it, I bought it, though I'm pretty sure that it's nitric acid left in it. The smell is not to be mistaken

Yes, I have potassium carbonate too.:)
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users