No replies to this topic

#1 spectrum

spectrum

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:49 PM

Rather than tag this on to the thread about Ron's book I thought I would start afresh.

A few years back I purchased a very tatty copy of "Artificial Fireworks" by Colonel Jones, published 1765. Paid £100 for it, actually bought two books and sold one for £200 so covered the cost of the total purchase in effect.

Inside the front cover was the name of who I thought was a former owner of the book, hand inscribed in small copperplate style handwriting. In recent months, with the Popes visit all over the news you might have picked up on the fact that one reason for his visit was the beatification of Cardinal John Newman. John Newman was an academic and published author in his day, he courted controversy, mainly after his death I imagine because he had a close friendship with another man called Amrose St John. The two were inseparable and were buried together (I think).

When I read about this, the scandalous rantings etc. in the papers about how this friendship was viewed I realised that what I was reading rang a small bell in the back of my mind and checked the old book. Ambrose St John is the name that's written inside the front cover of the book. Coincidence or what? I can't imagine it was ever a common name.

I will give a pound to the first person who can find an Ambrose St John in the phone book (on second thoughts it may be his book!!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users