• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 darkfang77

darkfang77

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:30 PM

ti sponge is used because its easier to crush down ( softer)than ti metal it comes from part of the manufacturing process of making ti metal.
ie reducing the ti ore into sponge ready for melting.
just a little word of warning chaps, ti can spark with impact, and Dr shimizu suggests the use of titanium in whistle as a "unacceptable risk"
so factor in the use of a press for ti based fountain,rocket formula, even if its a homemade large wooden lever type press

Ahh, so titanium sponges are meant to be broken down when we buy them? How? Ball milling would damage the mill b/c of its hardness, would it not?
I am aware that titanium produces superior white sparks to mixes, but what's more preferable, titanium or aluminium, fountain wise?

#17 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:55 PM

ti sponge is just the name it comes as a granular product, no mill needed use as is, or finner with just a hammer.
ti turnings, flakes, curls etc can be its suggested heated in a oven to make then brittle and easier to crush, how hot the oven? i don't know ive never really tried it lol, just trying to get the point over about its impact sensitivity (sparky, sparky, boom).
ti makes a brighter spark, is more resistant to nitrate attack, but is more sensitive to impact hence pressing

Edited by chris m, 13 October 2010 - 07:00 PM.

#18 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:37 PM

Ti aside. Rick dont buy your kraft for the time been, I have a life-time supplie of the bloody stuff, have some!! LOL

BTW, you still coming saturday?

Edited by portfire, 13 October 2010 - 09:38 PM.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#19 rick87

rick87

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:54 AM

oh ok cool thanks :)
I want to but i've emailed Bri heard nothing back. i'll ring him tonight. Has he said he's expecting me to come 'cause you've been there all week havent you?

#20 rick87

rick87

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:45 PM

for those that are interested.....
Here's my attempt after all of your inputs.
looks rather more like a fountain i think you'll agree!

#21 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:31 PM

great work rick ,did you add coarse charcoal? and are you happy with it? :)

Edited by dr thrust, 17 October 2010 - 09:32 PM.

#22 Atom Fireworks

Atom Fireworks

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:01 PM

Nice work rick, looks like your progressing nicly. Having goten into this hobbie purly to build shells i had never tried rockets and fountains until the last month or so. I made my first rockets a few weeks back and they are impressive to say the least. And having been successfull with those i had a go at a fountain. Well all i can say is woow i never thought they would look so pritty and be so satisfying.

I do not mean to hijack this thread but it seems sensible to to discuss fountaisn here. Can anybody who is a good chemist take a look at the list of chems ive used to make my couple of fountaisn and tell me if there is something dodgy i should be aware of. I think they are all safe together but would like some reasurance.

250 mesh mag al
60-100 mesh ali
Potassium Perchlorate
Parlon
Redgum
And black powder grit ( passes through a fine mesh when sizing my lift)

I have just experimented with ratios of these chems nothing technical, nor do i fully understand which chem does what and maybe the red gum and parlon wouldnt be needed i dont know, my thought was parlon to try and slow the mix down abit, and red gun to be abit of organic fuel and also to help it press easier in a case. The perchlorate i added is for oxygen, not sure if i even need that as its metal fueled with the mg al.

This mix is very powerfull with the ratios ive used, Infact so powerfull do not try it in your back garden unless youve got atleast 50 meters. The reason i say this is i compressed some into a small 1/4" id tube from cooperman and the tower of white flickering sparkers went over 5 feet, and then i made one in my plastic rocket casings and the nozeled in with a 3mm hole and the tower of sparks went over 6 feet, i was a little scared as the noise was so loud i was expecting it to blow up but it did not and after making a few more they all went fine none blow out or up !!!

I will make a couple and video them for you lot if you like and post the ratio in each fountain. I wouldnt say these were fountaisn as such maybe more a Gerb?

Your thoughts are appreciated,

Jay

#23 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:09 PM

a gerb,pronounced "jerb" ;) is just a small fountain under 18mm diameter.
im surprised you've not read up on your chemistry, you say you've made shells?
anyways on your list you have "black powder grit" so i presume you have kn03, charcoal and sulfur?
the reason your fountains are so ferocious is simply from the fact your using a perchlorate in the mix, the extra oxygen atom is speeding up the burn rate, its added to some colored star composition to speed them up.
so adding parlon to slow it back down is counter productive.
incompatibles, well mixing black powder and perchlorate's will make a more impact sensitive mix from the sulfur in the bp. k perchlorate is toxic, ppe needed!.
aluminum can be attacked by the nitrate and decomposition occurs, adding a weak acid like boric acid slows down the decomposition , this is usually added to wet mixed star comps because of the presence of moisture speeds up the decomp, and its used in articles that are stored for a while, not to bad for make and shoot items but its just good practice to use it ;) around 2% is added

Edited by dr thrust, 18 October 2010 - 06:38 PM.

#24 Atom Fireworks

Atom Fireworks

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:17 AM

a gerb,pronounced "jerb" ;) is just a small fountain under 18mm diameter.
im surprised you've not read up on your chemistry, you say you've made shells?
anyways on your list you have "black powder grit" so i presume you have kn03, charcoal and sulfur?
the reason your fountains are so ferocious is simply from the fact your using a perchlorate in the mix, the extra oxygen atom is speeding up the burn rate, its added to some colored star composition to speed them up.
so adding parlon to slow it back down is counter productive.
incompatibles, well mixing black powder and perchlorate's will make a more impact sensitive mix from the sulfur in the bp. k perchlorate is toxic, ppe needed!.
aluminum can be attacked by the nitrate and decomposition occurs, adding a weak acid like boric acid slows down the decomposition , this is usually added to wet mixed star comps because of the presence of moisture speeds up the decomp, and its used in articles that are stored for a while, not to bad for make and shoot items but its just good practice to use it ;) around 2% is added

Like i said i have basic knowledge of the chemicals and what they do, i also no the more common incompatabilities, and yes i have made shells up to 5" and ime good at it :D .

Cheers for the reply mate, i knew that the bp and perchlorate would be a little sensative but i dont deem it too sensative not to make and fire same day. I did not think about the ali decomposing though so i shal add a small amount of boric acid as per your suggestion.

Jay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users