• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 rakiru

rakiru

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:31 AM

First off, sorry if this seems to be a duplicate topic, especially if it is something you've seen time and time again. I am a moderator and long term user of a very active forum so I know  how annoying this can be.

Since it's quite late, I'm just going to put my questions in a list as it will probably make them easier to answer:

• What are the laws of the UK regarding the use, sale and manufacture of black powder? I've seen a lot about a 100g rule for "experimentation purposes", and I've read through most of the relevant legislation, but I'm still not sure what kind of legal position I am in.
  • What are the laws regarding manufacture of small fireworks, like most of the people on this forum make as a hobby (so I gather)? Is there any type of license needed; one specifically for people who like to tinker in their garden shed? Is there any training available in this area?
  • What are the laws regarding storage of the explosives and chemicals involved in fireworks and pyrotechnics? I know that people may buy fireworks and store them for 14 days, but most other things are mainly a mystery.

Lastly, a little bit about myself and my interests in this:
When I was about 11, I got my first model rocket (well, extreme adult supervision etc) and loved it. Motors for it were easy to get without any hassle (by my parents), but I ended this hobby when both the shop my parents bought the rocket and motors from closes, and then my rocket failed, I think because I didn't triple check the wadding as I usually did. I still have two of those motors left and just recently wondered about the legality of them. I have also been involved in pyrotechnics for a pantomime by a local drama group (me being the main sound and lighting engineer) which has increased my interest in this area. And of course, I have always loved fireworks, and as I have a strong desire to know how things work and as I love to build things myself rather than just buy some generic item that does the job, it was only a matter of time before I wanted to get more hands-on and actually make something. I've been wanting to get into it for a good while now (and I've been lurking this forum a fair amount in that time), but the one major problem I have is that I don't know to what extent I am allowed by law to do this, if any, especially with the increasing fear of terrorism (which I have to say, any restrictions on chemicals isn't going to work - it will only harm people who want to follow the law. Criminals/terrorists don't care about the law, so how is a piece of paper going to sotp them? There's still guns in this coutnry isn't there?). Sorry if any of this seems like I'm rambling, but it's 01:30, so I'll just blame that. ;P

EDIT: Regarding the training comment, I live in the Highlands of Scotland. I'm unaware of any fireworks related companies anywhere near me, but if anyone knows otherwise, I'd be grateful for the information.

Edited by rakiru, 21 October 2010 - 12:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users