18 replies to this topic

#1 Palerider1942

Palerider1942

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:08 AM

Hi
Im looking for a pyrotechnics course in southampton area that I can do alongside my uni course but google is giving me a load of rubbish. Can anybody help please?

#2 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:39 AM

What sort of "pyrotechnics course"? As far as I know there are no courses in how to make pyrotechnics specifically, and your uni is unlikely to create one just for you! There are training courses in the use of pyrotechnics;
The Assn of Stage Pyrotechnicians runs a one day training course covering the legal and safe use of stage pyros.
Kimbolton and separately Sandling fireworks offer courses of trainng for the safe and legal use of cat 2 and cat3 retail fireworks.
Illuminate Consult offers (and the Society usually hosts annually) a highly regarded course in the safe and legal use of cat4 professional user only fireworks.
-All of these courses are short, one or two day events, ideally fitted in at a weekend.

The BPA offers for it's members a course leading to a firework firer's certificate in two levels, this takes months of regular attendance to achieve.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#3 Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:12 PM

southampton is a bit far from here >.> but i found a place on reccomendation from here: http://www.firework-...ining/index.htm - i emailed 1st galaxy fireworks yesterday but not heard back from them yet, hopefully they'll still be doing the classes :) - will update when if i get some info o.o

also.. i'm very new :) - this is my first post.. I'm looking for some fireworks training, so if anyone knows of any other places that do classes round Sheffield (ish) area - would be greatful for the info!

#4 Palerider1942

Palerider1942

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:29 AM

sorry bout the delay in replying, I thought the website emailed u if there was any replies, anyway im looking to go into the film special effects industry specializing in pyrotechnics and armaments. And southampton uni is not really the type of uni to be offering that training.

#5 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:09 AM

The forum can be set to notify you of replies I think, HOWEVER the SFX industry is largely based on "Who you know and who knows you" so hiding here won't work! The Society is organising a intro to SFX course in the spring next year, which you should attend. You could look out for SFX companies and attempt to get an introduction to them. While the skills needed may be degree level, the contacts needed -both personal and corporate- are simple personal relationships that have to be carefully nurtured.

One of the most important things to know is that all pyro sfx are likely to involve HE at some point so PLEASE live your life according to the law so that in later years you will not be a "Prohibited Person" in the terms of the (COER) Act and disbarred from holding explosives by law. (Basically but not legally complete- a criminal conviction for anything WILL disbar you from handling HE at any time in your life).

Far better to find a SFX company to take you on at the lowest rank of gofer and do a LOT of learning on the job and get promoted within the company.

#6 exat808

exat808

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:30 AM

sorry bout the delay in replying, I thought the website emailed u if there was any replies, anyway im looking to go into the film special effects industry specializing in pyrotechnics and armaments. And southampton uni is not really the type of uni to be offering that training.

Wise words from Arthur.
You say that you are looking to get into pyro and armaments? Daft as it might seem, why not consider joining an historical re-enactment society. There are many out there covering a range of time periods. You would learn about weaponry and I am aware that many groups make use of pyro SFX. This would certainly give you some hands on experience that would assist at such time as you wanted to apply for any certificates etc. I guess it will be a lot cheaper than a full blown course and you generally only participate at weekends and bank holidays leaving the weeks free for studenty type stuff like learning!

#7 Re-enactor

Re-enactor

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:12 PM

Hi there- I would agree with the above- I am the founder and current head of the pyro team for the 'Wight Pirates'- www.wightpirates.wepaint.com we have one member at your university already and are a 1/2 hr ferry journey away- from Easter we have weekly practices on the Island where we teach everything from sword combat to cannon use! If this interests you please PM me (and yes keep yourself squeaky clean legal wise!).

#8 Lauraa

Lauraa

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:10 PM

Im looking for a pyrotechnics course that will allow me to use Cat 4 pyros when the new law comes in in 2013.
I currently help with the pyros for a ww2 reenactment group but want to make it so that I am legally allowed to do it.
Just wondering if anyone has any idea when and where there are these types of courses on??
Thanks

Lauraa :)
Laura Williams :)

#9 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:20 PM

Im looking for a pyrotechnics course that will allow me to use Cat 4 pyros when the new law comes in in 2013.
I currently help with the pyros for a ww2 reenactment group but want to make it so that I am legally allowed to do it.
Just wondering if anyone has any idea when and where there are these types of courses on??
Thanks

Lauraa :)

Hi Lauraa

When the new law comes in there will be several types of pyro which will require training. CAT 4 will be much as now, so Illuminates course that we run ocassionally or BPA training will be fine.

However, as a reenactor, you might be using professional stage pyro & ASP run courses which are planned to cover that.

As to loading canon with black powder etc, not sure if this will be affected at all as this is not really pyro, but covered by the explosives laws. Any advice Exat?

Edited by phildunford, 28 January 2011 - 02:24 PM.

Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#10 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:39 PM

er.. whats happening in 2013?

#11 exat808

exat808

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:05 PM

Hi Lauraa

When the new law comes in there will be several types of pyro which will require training. CAT 4 will be much as now, so Illuminates course that we run ocassionally or BPA training will be fine.

However, as a reenactor, you might be using professional stage pyro & ASP run courses which are planned to cover that.

As to loading canon with black powder etc, not sure if this will be affected at all as this is not really pyro, but covered by the explosives laws. Any advice Exat?

BP will be unaffected as it is an explosive substance and not a pyrotechnic article. Pyro articles that contain BP may be affected dependant upon how they are captured by the new Regulations.

#12 Farnet

Farnet

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:50 PM

er.. whats happening in 2013?

Errm I'm with you, Dr Thrust, what exactly is going to happen as I hear rumblings but no actual facts, can anybody shed some light on what the government are planning to do, how exactly will it effect us.

I heard they are going to be more heavily controlling oxidisers etc, but to what level?

And is this why I get the feeling that people are starting to stockpile the basic chemicals now?

Edited by Farnet, 28 January 2011 - 07:55 PM.

Everything is poisonous if taken in the extreme.

Take time for example, have too much of it and you will eventually die....

#13 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:33 PM

This is about the 'Pyrotechnic Articles (safety) regulations.

They came into force for consumer fireworks on 4th July 2010. For CAT 4 & theatrical pyrotechnics on 4th July 2013.

It's mainly about european 'harmonisation' and is very complex & wordy.

Read here; Link or google it.

In terms of consumer stuff, one effect is to make more sensible rules on safety distances. we will not have to watch tiny fireworks from 25M any more (you did, didn't you?).

Theatrical pyro will be split into stuff anyone can buy & 'professional' for which you will need to be a 'competent person'. lincoln Parkhouse thinks that attending their course & being a member of the ASP will make you a competent person.

There is still debate on details, as it's obvious to anyone with a brain that you can't harmonise fireworks across europe, because we have different cultures, uses and opinions about the matter...

All very complicated!
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#14 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:33 PM

http://www.stage-pyro.org.uk/news.php

gives much of the information. Discussions are still ongoing about the divisions between T1 and T2 (also P1 and P2)

Membership of the ASP is very helpful to enable other people to have a basic understanding of your competence with stage pyro

#15 Lauraa

Lauraa

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 06:37 PM

Yeah Im thinking about going on one of the courses that ASP run just wanted to double check that this would fully cover me for using all different kinds of pyros.
Dont really want to pay for a course and then it not cover me for everything that I want the training for.

Thanks for all your replies :D
Laura Williams :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users