2 replies to this topic

#1 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:58 AM

I have seen a number of formulas for colored candles. With paraffin, only some of these are possible to make, those being orange, red and yellow (And green to a limited extent). I have had a lot of trouble attempting to make paraffin candles with copper oxide that exhibit a clean green flame.

Based on my own research it appears that many chinese companies are using citric acid to produce colors. Though, how candles composed completely of citric acid are produced is absolutely beyond me, let alone making them burn with various metallic oxyanions in them.

Have any members here experienced making colored candles out of solid, easy to handle materials?...

#2 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:26 PM

I have seen a number of formulas for colored candles. With paraffin, only some of these are possible to make, those being orange, red and yellow (And green to a limited extent). I have had a lot of trouble attempting to make paraffin candles with copper oxide that exhibit a clean green flame.

Based on my own research it appears that many chinese companies are using citric acid to produce colors. Though, how candles composed completely of citric acid are produced is absolutely beyond me, let alone making them burn with various metallic oxyanions in them.

Have any members here experienced making colored candles out of solid, easy to handle materials?...

A few years ago, I use to make gel candles table decorations as a hobby/experiment, but I have never tried to make coloured candle flames.

Purified mineral oil 95% + a polymer resin 5% basically = Gel Candle, but along with conventional candle paraffin wax, these are not best suited to making other coloured candle flames because on the whole they give off a yellowish flame.

I believe chemicals involving Triethyl Citrate, Ethanol, Ethylene Glycol together with a binder/resin/solidifier are what manufacturers use to make coloured flames. The wicks as well as the candle itself is I guess are impregnated with salts/crystals common to firework making chemicals.

Candle making is a subject in itself, you need a double boiler or old saucepan with a can in the middle (think of a `bain marie` = water bath when attempting experiments) + molds, but be aware, candle making can be hazardous - treat with respect and wear PPE.

#3 darkfang77

darkfang77

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:10 PM

I tried using a Copper Sulphate wick, very bad result.
Released some Sulphur Di/Trioxide and left Copper Oxide which spat and went out.
I saw on some Youtube videos that chlorides are the most commonoly used colorant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users