2 replies to this topic

#1 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 09:06 PM

Ok this isn't much different to R Candy but seems to produce excellently fast BP while producing nice little orange bushy sparks. If cooked right and isn't overcooked causing the sugar to caramelise then it shouldn't be too hygroscopic otherwise you will end up with mush. Below are two formulas made like the CIA method but without the alcohol at the end. You should cook it until you end up with a thick black mush that can then be pushed through a mesh screen to form grains. Since the sugar and potassium nitrate crystallise you should end up with nice hard grains without having to use a binder.

The first formula isn't far from a standard BP mix but produces a very fast gaseous BP:

Pot Nitrate ---- 75
Charcoal (Willow) ---- 7.5
Sugar (any type) ----- 7.5
Sulphur ------- 10
Iron Oxide +1

Second mix produces more gas and is extremely fast, large grains will spin around causing a ground spinner effect.

Pot Nitrate ----- 60
Sugar ------- 25
Charcoal (Willow) --- 10
Sulphur ----- 5
Iron Oxide +1

The charcoal seems to increase the burning speed more than standard R Candy and produces a very bright bushy flame compared to the low light output of a standard sugar mix.

Not much I know but I thought I will try and contribute something I have been working on, more tests to come!
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#2 Dagabu

Dagabu

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:56 PM

FUN! Do you have any video of a rocket made with this? I think I know what I am doing this weekend ;)

#3 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:22 AM

I dont sorry though I have tested it as a lift powder which proved successful and also makes a relatively ok cracker.
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users