18 replies to this topic

#1 pyrodude

pyrodude

pyrodude

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 12:55 PM

Has anyone any idea where i can get Antimony Sulfide from for a white star formula or does it have to be made.

Cheers Kyle Spooner

#2 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 12:57 PM

Please search before posting. It's not easy in the UK. You can't make it.

You can also use antimony metal instead.

#3 pyrodude

pyrodude

pyrodude

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 01:01 PM

Hiya,
i have searched and it only comes up with couple if items which none of them note where to get it from in the uk.

Edited by pyrodude, 23 January 2004 - 01:02 PM.

#4 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 06:59 PM

I asked if antimony could be made from the oxide (by reduction with carbon) on the forum a while ago, and got one reply saying it possibly could, and as I said then, it has been used for hundreds of years, so I would guess it doesn't require a lot of sophistication to make (although that doesn't mean the method would be accessible for me necessarily) but then Big G said this,

You can't make it.

and this,

Synthetic made Antimony does not seem to work well

Which seems to imply that when I (probably) order some "ceramic" pyro chems this weekend, I will be completely wasting my money getting antimony oxide (which is quite pricey). But...
When you say you can't make it, do you mean antimony sulphide or antimony metal (or both), and when you say synthetic antimony does not work well, do you specifically mean in glitter, or in any pyro composition. If I can use it in some white stars and lances I'll be happy. OTOH, if antimony oxide cannot be reduced with carbon at temperatures attainable with charcoal and a forced air supply, I could halve the cost of my order. Any info will be appreciated, thanks.

#5 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 09:14 PM

Okay, I guess It would really be appropriate to give a better respond.

First, I specifically meant that the antinomy tri-sulphide used in pyrotechnic cannot be ?made? at home. This to mean that synthetically produces antinomy tri-sulphide is not very good in pyro compositions. I done the mistake once of buying synthetically produces antinomy tri-sulphide ? it worked ok for white stars, and rubbish for glitter/flitter. Of course, if you go to nature and manage to dig a fairly pure piece of the mineral, you can crash it and hope all is well.

Second ? for producing the metal or it?s sulphide at home. For the first half (oxide ->metal) I quote Lancaster: ?It is usually prepared by heating the native sulphide (stibnite) with scrap iron, or with poorer quality ores by burning off sulphur in a reverberatory furnace to produce the oxide ? which is then reduced with carbon?.

Assuming that you manage to do this in a static furnace, I will stop there. The metal is good for both white stars and glitter.

Second half (metal -> sulphide), should be achieved by melting with sulphur. In reality, Mellor mentions that you can sort-cut the process and go strait oxide-> sulphide: ?P Jannasch and W Remmler (Liebigs Annalen der Chemie 26,1425,1893) made the crystalline sulphide by melting antimony trioxide with an excess of sulphur -- the reaction is hastened if a trace of iodine be present.?
In any case, this is dangerous, the melting produces sulphur dioxide, and must be conducted in open air. The melted metal (or the oxide) bubble like hell and antinomy or it?s sulphide are poisonous by inhalation. Not usually fatal, but very unpleasant non the less.

I would just try to make the metal. If you fail, I can get some small quantities of the metal, but it?s not cheap. See inside the BPS dedicated forum.

Hope this is helpful. Enjoy!

#6 pyrodude

pyrodude

pyrodude

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 09:20 PM

Ok Cheers Big G You certainly know your stuff!!

#7 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 11:36 PM

Many thanks BigG, excellent response. Having seen the following,

...or with poorer quality ores by burning off sulphur in a reverberatory furnace to produce the oxide ? which is then reduced with carbon

I'll get some antimony oxide along with the other stuff I wanted ASAP and try making antimony. Since it's already oxide, I don't need to burn off the sulphur. Like you said, I'll go for the metal rather than try the oxide->sulphide reaction.

I might not get around to doing this for a few weeks - I'm kind of busy at the moment, but I'll keep you posted when I do try. If I can do it, I'm sure anyone else can :)

#8 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 05:20 PM

Crap. I've just got a reply from the ceramic company saying they don't sell antimony oxide anymore. Turns out their online catalogue was a few years out of date. I know another place I can try, but it's twice as expensive. Oh well, at least I'm still getting my colouring chems.

#9 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 02:16 PM

Just found some Antimony powder Here Anyone know if this is the same as Antimony Trisulfide? or has it any use in pyro?

#10 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:10 PM

Seems to be the element, not the sulfide. Otherwise it would say "Antimony (Tri)Sulfide" :)

Antimony powder itself was used in some frictions ensitive compositions and is still used for hot burning ignition compositions (modstly for military uses).

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#11 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 11:15 AM

Ah, I'll leave it alone then. I suspected as much. The trisulfide isn't easy to get it seems. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

#12 Steve

Steve

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 01:05 PM

I've found a source of Antimony Trisulphide. It will be apprearing on Inoxia within 2 months most likely. Still need to finalise product specification, COSHH & CHIP before purchase.
Inoxia Pyrotechnics - The UK online store for chemicals and other pyrotechnics supplies

#13 Wyvern

Wyvern

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 01:46 PM

Will it be chinese Needle or the dark pyro?

#14 gerritje

gerritje

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 04:37 PM

Try milling a stibnite cristal. That is how get my antimony trisulfide and it works fine for me.
The cristal itself not that hard you can crush it verry easily.

#15 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:50 AM

Just found some Antimony powder Here Anyone know if this is the same as Antimony Trisulfide? or has it any use in pyro?

Lancaster uses antimony powder in some of his white lance comps, and a couple of star comps. Not sure what mesh sizes are needed but if you want I will post them. Also have never tried them myself but that antimony powder is quite cheap, will probably give them a try some time.
You can never have a long enough fuse...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users