• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 12:09 PM

I seem to remember Alan Yates reporting somewhere on here that he made Sb2S3 from the metal and sulphur in a home-made furnace, so maybe it is possible. But you'd need to make sure you had some way to contain any fumes, antimony is just a bit toxic.
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#17 Skarphedin

Skarphedin

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:21 PM

Just found some Antimony powder Here Anyone know if this is the same as Antimony Trisulfide? or has it any use in pyro?

In the Passfire formula database I found one (pil box) star that requires antimony metal powder:

White metallic fueled star (George Weingart)

#18 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:11 PM

But you'd need to make sure you had some way to contain any fumes, antimony is just a bit toxic.

This is worth a fresh 'heads up'... I spent the afternoon mixing some Degn White Lance comp for portfires. Checking the MSDS for the antimony trisulfide it's actually fairly toxic - comparable to barium nitrate in lethal dose if not in solubility.

According to Wikipedia - 'Clinically, antimony poisoning is very similar to arsenic poisoning. In small doses, antimony causes headache, dizziness, and depression. Larger doses cause violent and frequent vomiting, and will lead to death in a few days.'

Be careful folks...

#19 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:41 PM

....causes headache, dizziness, and depression

Very like an excess of things such as booze, girlfriends and reading explosives regulations! :unsure:

Seriously though, thanks for the warning Joseph, I'd not really appreciated that the sulphide might be nasty; glitter mixes being basically BP based I'd always put into the "safer sort of stuff" category.

Edited by pyrotrev, 25 November 2007 - 11:20 AM.

Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users