14 replies to this topic

#1 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:52 PM

I have been reading a book dating from 1736 on farming and at that time they suggest the use of firecrackers to get rid of water voles.

Posted Image
Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

#2 dan100

dan100

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 05:40 PM

hi, it doesn't suprise me at all a bit barbaric though, they're still used now for scaring birds [search rook scarers]
i bet thats some interesting reading, what's it called
dan

#3 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:48 PM

I like the 'drive them to some other quarter' part!
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#4 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:06 PM

what's it called

The book in question is called The Country Gentleman and Farmers Monthly Director a series of periodicals published in 1736.
A book handed down, but not from my side of the family I do add.
Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

#5 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:47 PM

nice little, vintage American fire cracker video Kellners Fireworks :)

#6 dan100

dan100

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:00 PM

The book in question is called The Country Gentleman and Farmers Monthly Director a series of periodicals published in 1736.
A book handed down, but not from my side of the family I do add.

thanks, probably quite rare i imagine. nice piece of history. dan

#7 dan100

dan100

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:09 PM

and some nice old standard stuff. looks like they too use firecrackers for "scaring pests" since the bigger ones were banned

#8 Peret

Peret

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:09 AM

Around here, chipmunks, not water rats, are the pests. They're awfully cute, but they live in tunnels under the garden and eat the roots of the plants, which fall over and die. Firecrackers don't seem to bother them, but there's a splendid pest control firework called the "gasser" that does the trick. It's a thick sodium nitrate candle with a large excess of sulfur, and lighting one in the chipmunk tunnels drives them away for a couple of months. The same solution would probably work with moles.

#9 Rip Rap

Rip Rap

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:46 AM

Great video! :)

A few "Standard" items in there. They must have exported these to the US? The rockets and candle look 70's / 80's.
"Choose a job that you love & you will never do a days work in your life!"

#10 dan100

dan100

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:31 AM

Around here, chipmunks, not water rats, are the pests. They're awfully cute, but they live in tunnels under the garden and eat the roots of the plants, which fall over and die. Firecrackers don't seem to bother them, but there's a splendid pest control firework called the "gasser" that does the trick. It's a thick sodium nitrate candle with a large excess of sulfur, and lighting one in the chipmunk tunnels drives them away for a couple of months. The same solution would probably work with moles.

"gopher gasser"
sorry to take this slightly off topic, does anyone know of any other methods using pyrotechnic devices to drive them to roam other quarters i think its interesting to see old and new techniques.
bird banger pistols
salute rockets
rook/crow scarers
gopher gasser
i dont want to start an animal rights discussion and i would never use any devices in such a way.
dan

#11 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:09 PM

lol the most famous one i can think of is Weingarts "wasp light", which is essentially a 3/4 dia x 5" long gerb ,with the comp kno3..9, sulfur... 1.5, charcoal ..5.
all that is then needed to rid ones garden of said wasp nest is to afix the case to a long stick/pole and light her up :)

Edited by dr thrust, 14 April 2011 - 05:11 PM.

#12 megabusa

megabusa

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:48 AM

lol the most famous one i can think of is Weingarts "wasp light", which is essentially a 3/4 dia x 5" long gerb ,with the comp kno3..9, sulfur... 1.5, charcoal ..5.
all that is then needed to rid ones garden of said wasp nest is to afix the case to a long stick/pole and light her up :)

Could have done with this last year.

Cost me 50 quid for a man in PPE to spray a nest in the soffit :(

Have you tried it ???

#13 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:28 AM

Edited by Creepin_pyro, 08 October 2011 - 10:10 PM.

#14 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:36 PM

Can't find the picture at the moment, but I remember an ad for bangers designed to be tied to a bike handlebar for throwing at rabid dogs giving chase. Some sort of friction igniter system.

There's actually a modern equivalent - the Canadian 'Bear Banger'. Take a look on YouTube...

Personally I'd prefer to carry a bit more firepower trecking in bear country. I wonder if these quailify as Emergency Distress Pyrotechnics :)

#15 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:43 PM

on a tinternet trawling spree, i came across fire cracker pics for your viewing pleasure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users