27 replies to this topic

#16 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:56 AM

in the back of my mind ive heard of this type of firework before ," fireworks on strings hanging from trees" is a quote somewhere ...
so ill stick my neck out and say its designed to be hung and fired

Yes it rings a bell with me too, the description/measurements given ask many more questions, why was it tapered? was there a grove or ready made hole to attach some string? if so, how would the firework hang on the washing line or tree and was this crucial to its behaviour of flight etc etc?

#17 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:13 PM

theres only two ways this little beaut could fly, either jumping around erratically, if hung from a tree.
or it could possibly use the attachment point of the "string to washing line" as a rotational axis, those becoming a wheel?

#18 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:42 PM

Well I had a go at making a flying saucer for your amusement,
I used Firefiend's dimensions for the Spitfire and made up a cone former for the casing with three or four turns of heavy craft paper.
The first was made with basic fountain mix with some Aluminium in the last third and a pinch of titanium at the end ,this slowed it up some.
The second one was using different charcoal with whistle mix right at the end which promptly blew out the casing.
They were all suspended from the middle on 24”of string.Flying Saucer

Edited by Vic, 17 May 2011 - 03:44 PM.

Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

#19 Firefiend

Firefiend

Martin

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:05 PM

Hi Vic. You made a brilliant job of that! The effect was incredible and I've never seen another firework like it.

I suppose they were banned at some time in the distant past as they could probably fly off the string if not tied properly or it could burn through.

Might be worth trying to recreate the tapered Spitfire as well if you have the chemicals. Most of the old squibs/flyers were simply parallel sided and a tapered design might work better.

#20 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:30 PM

Vic,

This is brilliant mate, thank you for recreating this, and what a cracking little firework, this must have been close to what the original would have been, love the complete randomness as predicted by others.

I wish this was around in the 1960`s, would be great if we could see how you made this in detail in the next issue of sparks?

I hearby rename this "Vic - Harbots Flying Saucer" :)

#21 Atom Fireworks

Atom Fireworks

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:27 AM

Damn i cant watch the video works banned youtube :angry: , but excellent for re-creating some HISTORY thats what this hobbie is all about bringing fireworks back and you sir have done just that, good on ya :D Would it be possible to make it alternate in colours? I suppose people view Flying saucers with multicoloured flashing lights, maybe the odd small coloured star dropping out would add to the effect?

#22 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:47 PM

Ok here is the mark2 flying saucer
I am getting there, this one had two strings, one at the front and one at the back, this helped to keep it level. Different mix again with atomised iron at the end, I prefer it without.
The charcoal sparks on their own are amazing.Mark2
Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

#23 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:12 AM

Ok here is the mark2 flying saucer
I am getting there, this one had two strings, one at the front and one at the back, this helped to keep it level. Different mix again with atomised iron at the end, I prefer it without.
The charcoal sparks on their own are amazing.Mark2

Even better this time around, yes the charcoal sparks seem so much richer & golden, I wonder if coating the casing & string in luminous paint (perhaps different colours) would add anything to the overall effect?

#24 Firefiend

Firefiend

Martin

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:17 AM

Definitely had more of the "Flying Saucer" effect!! I preferred this one.

It makes me wonder why as it produced such a good effect, this type of firework was not produced by other manufacturers. Especially as Harbot's disappeared long before the other British manufacturers expired.

#25 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:06 PM

Also had a go at one of these, excellent little device for the ease of creation. Lots of fun to watch as it spins all over the place!
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#26 Firefiend

Firefiend

Martin

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

I've just received some more information on Harbot's taken from a 1950 Telephone Directory for the Leicester area.

Harbot W. & C. (Pyrotechnics) Ltd., 5 East Street, Leicester. Possibly their warehouse site.
Also at Regent Street, Narborough (on the edge of Leicester). This could have been their factory / magazine site.

Also information from London Gazettes. Regent Road seems to be a mistake unless it has disappeared now, as there is only a Regent Street in Narborough. Full name is Walter Harbot.

1950 London Gazette
1952 London Gazette
1955 London Gazette

Co-director could have been Sidney Simmons.
1950 Edinburgh Gazette
1952 London Gazette
1952 London Gazette
Both declared bankrupt.
1950 London Gazette

Edited by Firefiend, 29 February 2012 - 11:25 AM.

#27 spectrum

spectrum

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

This is really important to me - I am aware of Harbot and will be looking into their history during late spring (a work project which I will report on at a later date) They seem like a fairly primitive manufacturer, I imagine they relied on local trade with modest aspirations and achievements. I worked with people in my early days - coming up to 30 years ago - they worked in the industry forty years before me. How I regret not asking them about Harbots! but I suspect they would not have known of them. We discussed the old manufacturers and an old list was drafted, Harbot was not on the list (which I lost) but there were around 20 other small factories listed.

Whilst on the subject - Mersey Fireworks - any information?

#28 Firefiend

Firefiend

Martin

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:53 PM

This is really important to me - I am aware of Harbot and will be looking into their history during late spring (a work project which I will report on at a later date) They seem like a fairly primitive manufacturer, I imagine they relied on local trade with modest aspirations and achievements. I worked with people in my early days - coming up to 30 years ago - they worked in the industry forty years before me. How I regret not asking them about Harbots! but I suspect they would not have known of them. We discussed the old manufacturers and an old list was drafted, Harbot was not on the list (which I lost) but there were around 20 other small factories listed.

Whilst on the subject - Mersey Fireworks - any information?

Thanks. Nothing on Mersey I'm afraid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users