• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 02:28 PM

Here’s an idea the management committee cooked up the other day.

Lots of people would like experience in setting up a CAT 4 display.

What we would like to do is find 10 or so interested parties, at a cost of £50-£75 each, get together for a day and set up a display, which we fire in the evening. This would be under the supervision of experienced firers. It could even be the practical day of a 2 day course, with day one being run by Illuminate Consult. There would be an extra cost for this of course.

It seems a shame for a nice display to be watched by only 10 people, so we wondered if there is an organisation out there (Scouts/ Charity/ what have you) that could benefit from it in return for letting us have the venue for free. Preferably in a reasonably accessable part of the country.

So, early days, but

1) What do people think?

2) Do you know of such an organisation/venue?

Edited by phildunford, 10 June 2011 - 02:28 PM.

Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#2 whoof

whoof

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:44 PM

I would be interested, no idea on venue though, any geographical preference ?

#3 www.oliverbrown.co.uk

www.oliverbrown.co.uk

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:36 PM

I may be able to offer a venue, I have a field of about 5 acres on the outskirts of Coventry I use for part of my business (Paintball), I like to put one charity based event on every year, this could tie in nicely.
I'll give it some thought over the weekend.
It is situated under a flight path, would that be an issue? (I'm not trying to be funny, I have no idea about the resrictions)
I'd also be happy to pay to take part!
http://www.oliverbro...o.uk/index.html Pyrotechnic supplies and tooling

#4 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 06:07 AM

Excellent idea,

Anything that gives our society exposure and raises money to cover expenses/costs of running our society (AGMs etc) or other pyro projects (maybe Amberely) is got to be worth trying.

Could we not make enquiries with charitable/not for profit event organisers?.

http://www.karmalive.co.uk/about.aspx

#5 Atom Fireworks

Atom Fireworks

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:28 AM

Sounds good to me but more interested in getting the illuminate course aswell, theres quite a few people wanting to do the course so the numbers should be easy to get together.

#6 Bob Twells

Bob Twells

UKPS Web Admin

• UKPS Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 12:07 PM

Sounds like a great idea! Probably good to tie it in with the Illuminate course, although as I've already done that it'd be good if previous course attendees could still participate in the display setup.

#7 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 12:08 PM

It's an inspired idea to do a "cat4" firer's training course and finish with a show.

For some people firing is their aim, not running a fireworks company, so the full IC course is not what is wanted, but the practical is what's wanted. The course still needs to be run by IC or other competent people, and someone needs to hold the show insurance.

Maybe there is a Hospice or residential home with sufficient grounds, is Thieves Wood / Harlow Wood still there near Mansfield?
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#8 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:45 PM

It's an inspired idea to do a "cat4" firer's training course and finish with a show.

For some people firing is their aim, not running a fireworks company, so the full IC course is not what is wanted, but the practical is what's wanted. The course still needs to be run by IC or other competent people, and someone needs to hold the show insurance.

Maybe there is a Hospice or residential home with sufficient grounds, is Thieves Wood / Harlow Wood still there near Mansfield?

Arthur,

There is a well known hospice called St Francis at Havering Atte Bower, I will make some initial enquiries,..... question; can you carry out a site visit for suitability?

Question to Phil and/or the committee, will we provide our own catering? and insurance? is this going to be a full 1 day course?

#9 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:54 PM

Well the event is entirely up to the Society Committee. However here are a few of my thoughts:
1/ Getting a willing recipient of a free show will be harder than it first seems - I've tried something like this before.
2/ Getting a suitable recipient with enough space to fire pro material will be even harder, a 100m radius safety area could be sold off for millions in most areas and probably has already been earmarked for sale.
3/ Getting the syllabus sorted out for a "Society" course is simple enough, getting a course accredited by Illuminate as the practical component of the full IC course may require (one of) them to be supervising the course all day at cost but then they would cover the insurance.

At the moment I think it's rather early in the process to do site visits, the Society hasn't yet formulated the structure of the event. Plus it's really up to the insured person to do the site visit, as he and his insurance is taking the risk cost.

#10 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:14 PM

as i remember when doing the course last time, the practical side of the course was not required to be done and could still get a pass without it. so they would not have to be present if the ukps wanted to do the practical side, the society have a lot of links to people that have done the I.C course and insured through I.E. so should be easy to setup a day. i dont think the ukps would have to have it accredited by Illuminate because at some point if you want to get into cat 4 you would need to get some experience (which 9/10 is completely different to what you are taught)

maybe icarus could offer his land once more.

Edited by PyroPDC, 11 June 2011 - 11:20 PM.

#11 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:48 PM

Icarus may permit the use of his land, but the way I read the OP was that we were looking to offer the resultant display free of charge to a worthy cause ( hospice or charity etc) for the use of their field.

As the IC course is now two full days, IF this is to be one of those days then the content needs to be accredited and likely delivered by them.

#12 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:06 AM

working with a chariety ect is a good idea but in practice it could be a little hard to pick a day everyone is free on here and also a date when the charity is free. also if done on the I.C cat 4 then it would have to be close to that date could all be fine but may be a problem.

maybe i have this wrong (maybe phill could confirm) but i thought the the cat 4 course could be done in one day if they removed the practical side out therefore keeping costs down, but the practical side would be run by the ukps using a company or someone that could insure the day / event. as i already said the practical side does not have to be done to pass the I.C course. Therefore the practical would be classed as general experience which does not need to be accredited. maybe im wrong but im sure the ukps can confirm.

#13 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:30 PM

Just to clarify a couple of things.

Although it would be fine to link the practical session and the Illuminate course, it's not essential. Illuminate run a stand alone one day course which results in a qualification - no practical element is required, the course is about legislation.

Many people would like to have a go with CAT 4, hence the practical day. Just seemed a shame to me to have a nice display with nobody much watching. Also I was hoping that this might be the carrot that got us a suitable venue for free.

PDC has kindly offered to insure (thank you!) & if he was unable to make a particular day, we have others we could fall back on.

I have to repeat what I have said elsewhere, that I am in the middle of a massive house move & am barely available for the next few months. If this is going to happen, we need someone else to take ownership of the project - I may not even be able to come...

Edited by phildunford, 13 June 2011 - 12:42 PM.

Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#14 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:41 PM

I may be able to offer a venue, I have a field of about 5 acres on the outskirts of Coventry I use for part of my business (Paintball), I like to put one charity based event on every year, this could tie in nicely.
I'll give it some thought over the weekend.
It is situated under a flight path, would that be an issue? (I'm not trying to be funny, I have no idea about the resrictions)
I'd also be happy to pay to take part!

Excellent - let us know how you get on.

Airports are not usually a problem, depends how big, how near and how busy. Usually a matter liaesing with the CAA.
Posted Imagethegreenman

#15 www.oliverbrown.co.uk

www.oliverbrown.co.uk

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:58 PM

Excellent - let us know how you get on.

Airports are not usually a problem, depends how big, how near and how busy. Usually a matter liaesing with the CAA.

I'd like to confirm my offer (as long as you sort out the clearance). I'd like the charity to help children this time, something like a childrens hospital wing as my daughter had treatment this year and I'd like to give something back. Last year we helped "Help the hero's", only raised a grand but for our first propper go I was pretty happy!

Have a look on google earth if you like,
52°26'2.55"N
1°22'42.88"W
http://www.oliverbro...o.uk/index.html Pyrotechnic supplies and tooling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users