• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 helix

helix

• UKPS Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:10 PM

it may also ruin your face and your whole life
do not proceed if your using a coffee grinder i thought this forum would not allow that sot of talk, i know a guy on youtube made some things himself used the coffee grinder for nearly a year[it could have happened first day] and it went up in his face he now wont touch anything flammable and i dont blame him. if you cant build/buy a mill get a pestle and mortar to start with you can make lift quality bp in 30mins but your limited to batch sizes of 10g depending on the mortar[you dont need loads to start with anyway right] use the coffee grinder to airfloat the chems seperately grind the c and s in the mortar for ten minutes with heavy pressure add the k and ten percent water i used to wet the pestle this keeps the dust down and speeds grinding grind for 20 mins and test, it should be dry from grinding, once granulated with 5%dextrin or corned with 2%this has lifted 1/2 inch to 3 inch shells
dan.

I didn't want to be blunt, but I'd agree a coffee grinder is a bad idea - I recall someone had charcoal ignite in a coffee grinder let alone BP. I would personally keep BP and finely divided fuels away from it.

I have used one in the past to mill charcoal to get some course mesh sizes for rocket tails, but it was a separate mill (attachment for wife's Bamix blender actually) it worked well, but she didn't really appreciate its new use very much.

#17 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:53 PM

If you can't make or buy a ball mill, you could use a rock tumbler for polishing semi precious stones. I use one. It takes a LOT longer than a well designed mill, but I get very good BP with 10 hours milling, then pressing into pucks (dampened with 5% dextrin) and when dry granulating.

Something like this.

http://www.ukge.co.u...CFYEc4QodsxsVLQ

I use lead media that's cast into a cylindrical shape (A bit like a pumped star), this is MUCH faster than using lead balls owing to the greater surface area available for grinding.

I cast my own by rolling some card tubes, plugging one end with clay and pouring molten lead into them. When set, just cut off the tube with a craft knife. It's worth the effort, but be careful, stand the tubes in dry sand or ground clay to hold them whilst you pour the molten lead and do it outside.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#18 kitube

kitube

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:23 PM

i am obviously not stupid enough to mill the three ingredients together in the coffee grinder, and i have an electric one, and i checked and iam pretty sure that nothing gets into the mechanics of the grinder.
and when i do mix the ingredients i always do it wet. so no danger there.

#19 jermain

jermain

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:09 PM

could you put a video up on a burn test of 5g loose comp

should be something like this
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

wow, thats pretty quick BP. I can never get mine that fast even with 8-10hrs milling!!

Wonder why, perhaps you have better charcoal or kn03?

#20 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:59 PM

i am obviously not stupid enough to mill the three ingredients together in the coffee grinder, and i have an electric one, and i checked and iam pretty sure that nothing gets into the mechanics of the grinder.
and when i do mix the ingredients i always do it wet. so no danger there.

thats fair enough like i said originally " i didnt know your process"
personally i'd go for the mill every time, beg, borrow,build ( watch youtube , find parts on ebay ),save up, whatever's necessary :) .
a pyro without a mill , is like a snooker player using a tree branch instead of a cue, you may "get by" the results wont be great.

#21 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:54 AM

I'm barely willing to use my coffee grinder for it's intended purpose anymore. Yes, charcoal can ignite in a coffee grinder, and it most certainly can ruin your day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users