• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:13 PM

At the moment for my end discs for canister applications,i am cutting discs out of cardboard and using two together,it works but it is not ideal.

After using up my proper stamped end discs made of chipboard which i was kindly given i thought i would see what other people are doing/using.

#2 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:48 PM

I will be interested in this one too.

I am looking for good end discs for cans. I am looking to have some tooling made up for stamping them out of 6mm hardboard at the mo.
Phew that was close.

#3 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:49 PM

Is it not possible to use something like a holesaw set used for drilling ceiling light holes? and then adapt it by removing the centre drill piece and attaching a threaded rod/bolts/washers fixed to a bench drill.

#4 parabolic

parabolic

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:16 AM

I have made a stamp/press tool before and pressed out hardboard ends around 2" diameter, but it is slow work one at a time. I'm sure I have see the holesaw method before as said by Keith. I'd be tempted to have ago with the downlight hole cutter saws like this , you can possibly stack a good amount of hardboard sheets together and drill them in batches.

Edited by parabolic, 15 June 2011 - 07:29 AM.

#5 megabusa

megabusa

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:10 AM

I use a holesaw to cut my discs from 6mm hardboard.

RS components sell them in a good range of sizes so you can get them pretty much the size you need, I am sure other places will also have a good range & possibly cheaper.

Obviously a 50mm holesaw is to cut a 50mm hole, so it's the waste bit that we want for the disc, it is about 2 - 3mm smaller than the holesaw size.

The arbour drill I use is 6mm, so leaves a 6mm hole in the centre which is perfect for the time fuse.

I just fill the holes with hot glue on the other (non-fuse) end.

Phil.

#6 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:14 AM

Interesting stuff. I had considered the hole saw approach. But when I tried it before I found it a little on the slow side for production volumes (and cutters did not last that long).

I have a powered 50 tonne hydraulic press so I was considering using that for punching them as it can do a full stroke every 5 - 10 seconds (still a bit slow so a bigger pump will be required). However I would much prefer to buy them if there is a good cost effective source.
Phew that was close.

#7 parabolic

parabolic

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:25 AM

Interesting stuff. I had considered the hole saw approach. But when I tried it before I found it a little on the slow side for production volumes (and cutters did not last that long).

I have a powered 50 tonne hydraulic press so I was considering using that for punching them as it can do a full stroke every 5 - 10 seconds (still a bit slow so a bigger pump will be required). However I would much prefer to buy them if there is a good cost effective source.

what size discs are you particularly after?

of all places, teddy bear makers use disks to join the legs, arms and head. they come in different diameters from 18mm upto 76mm and have a 3mm hole in the middle for the joint ropes.

this place sells them in bulk at very cheap price, £3 for 50 76mm discs, I think the discs are around 1/8th thick so if it is not thick enough you could join two togther.

Edited by parabolic, 15 June 2011 - 09:37 AM.

#8 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:33 AM

72.5 mm
97.5 mm
122 mm
148 mm

The sizes can go up or down a little as I can have the cans rolled to suit.

Edited by digger, 15 June 2011 - 09:34 AM.

Phew that was close.

#9 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:09 PM

I think Stells of Keighley produce these, might be worthwhile asking for a quote...

#10 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:43 PM

Good plan, I did not consider stells for some strange reason.
Phew that was close.

#11 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:31 PM

http://www.pyrodirec...paper_disk.html
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#12 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:32 PM

Essex Tube Windings Ltd in Tilbury might also be worth a try!

#13 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:41 PM

72.5 mm97.5 mm122 mm148 mmThe sizes can go up or down a little as I can have the cans rolled to suit.

Nothing traditional about those sizes Digger you must be taking the short cut route?

Just some trivia, with traditional shells and the proper stamped out discs, you have one square edge and one that is slightly rounded and you want the round side on the outside when you slide it into the casing, it is less likely to cut into the wrap of craft paper when spiking.

Edited by Vic, 15 June 2011 - 06:49 PM.

Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

#14 megabusa

megabusa

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:40 PM

I suspect you're needing more than I am Gareth. !!!

Edited by megabusa, 15 June 2011 - 09:53 PM.

#15 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:20 PM

http://www.pyrodirect.com/ecom-catshow/paper_disk.html

A bit pricey by the time they would get here

Essex Tube Windings Ltd in Tilbury might also be worth a try!

I use them all the time, I have bought 10's of thousands of tubes from them. I don't think they do them, but will ask.

Nothing traditional about those sizes Digger you must be taking the short cut route?

Just some trivia, with traditional shells and the proper stamped out discs, you have one square edge and one that is slightly rounded and you want the round side on the outside when you slide it into the casing, it is less likely to cut into the wrap of craft paper when spiking.

Correct, for the purpose I want them there will be no need for faffing around with spiking. Useful tip all the same.

I suspect you're needing more than I am Gareth. !!!

Maybe the odd one or two.
Phew that was close.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users