• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 jermain

jermain

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:39 PM

No amount of PPE will save you if something goes wrong when working with large amounts of flash.

If you haven't already, have a quick look at the 'consequences' page archived here. It's extremely graphic but really drives the message home.

http://web.archive.o...p://come.to/pfp

There's only one way of ensuring nothing goes wrong with large amounts of flash powder and that is by not making it in large amounts!!! Which I don't plan to :lol:

#17 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:45 PM

There's only one way of ensuring nothing goes wrong with large amounts of flash powder and that is by not making it in large amounts!!! Which I don't plan to :lol:

Correct.

However, I do work in the industry where it is required to make larger batches and the thinking is that you may as well make 1 5kg batch rather than 50 100 gram batches as 100 grams will kill you so anything more is actually less risk as the mixing frequency is reduced.

D
Phew that was close.

#18 jermain

jermain

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:54 AM

Correct.

However, I do work in the industry where it is required to make larger batches and the thinking is that you may as well make 1 5kg batch rather than 50 100 gram batches as 100 grams will kill you so anything more is actually less risk as the mixing frequency is reduced.

D

Wow, what do you use 5kg of FP for? That would make one HELL of a bang. :ph34r:

Edit: Fireworks obviously...................stupid question :unsure:

Edited by jermain, 05 July 2011 - 07:55 AM.

#19 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:58 AM

Wow, what do you use 5kg of FP for? That would make one HELL of a bang. :ph34r:

Edit: Fireworks obviously...................stupid question :unsure:

We don't use it for fireworks at the moment (other pyrotechnic devices), even though we will in the future.

The reason for making large batches would be for a production run of maybe 1000 units each with 5 grams in.
Phew that was close.

#20 icarus

icarus

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:00 PM

Thats when pyro suddenly becomes hard work. Sitting cutting hundreds of fuses ,then punching out hundreds of foam or cardboard discs etc . I have an aversion to manual labour ! Even setting up and then clearing up after a firework display comes into the hard work category !!!. The only problem is whenever i stop work i run out of cash.
protodezine@gmail.com

#21 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:31 AM

I agree with you Icarus. It's great fun to knock up a few portfires, but when you have to funnel and wire 800 to a 1000 a day or more, the novelty soon wears off.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#22 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:59 AM

Just to echo what has previously been said, you need to use Dark Aluminium; Indian Blackhead, German Eckhart etc. From the way you describe the reaction your using 200# mesh Aluminum.

You don't need dark Al for flash powder. It is better, but any fine flake will work. As mentioned the perc needs to be nice and fine.

I always wear a mask when mixing unless it is only a gram or two (with bright flake I would still wear a mask at a gram!, just getting it out of the tub turns everything silver).

I hate bright flake Al. I got rid of mine as I was sick of the floating mess in the shop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users