Photo

pyrogen, alternative to chlorate / antimony sulphide ?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 04:34 PM

High. At least, higher than whistle with titanium granules in it. I used to work with the perchlorate variant of this composition, as well as copper ferricyanide (a good blue color agent when applied well I might add). A bit of the composition "Snapped" loudly when I was simply cutting a piece of self-made flying fish fuse in half with normal scissors...

Ferricyanide is very easily bought at camera and pottery stores, in small cylinders.

#17 dave

dave

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:52 PM

snert,

i only prepared it in micro amounts suitable for a few fusehead dips, and it was always moist with binder solution.
and then burnt the remainder.

i would expect it would be sensitive to some degree to both impact and friction, see mdh post above who seems to have more experience with this type of composition.

some comps may be sensitive to impact and not so sensitive to friction.........but best to assume the worst.

mdh,

copper fericyanide...........is that salt hygroscopic ?............or am i thinking of copper thiocyanate as hygroscopic ?

dave

#18 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:06 AM

You're right, it was my mistake. I was talking about copper ferrocyanide. A different animal but not entirely. It looks similar to the powder you'd get from reducing copper sulfate with ascorbic acid, but this is actually a compound not the metal. It can be made directly from sodium ferrocyanide.

Edited by MDH, 27 July 2011 - 01:14 AM.

#19 whoof

whoof

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:24 PM

Ferricyanide is very easily bought at camera and pottery stores, in small cylinders.

Curious, it disappeared from the local photoshops around the time of the tokyo tube incident,
i had assumed that some directive had been issued.
Not an issue now though as i have gone digital.

Thanks Dave
it looks like it is more sensitive than i want

#20 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:16 PM

I believe that due to many college photographers demanding the product and other "Vintage materials" used in their own hobby, the supplies continue. Look around online.

#21 dave

dave

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:15 PM

Copper thiocyanate + KClO3 seems to be a promising mixture that has a lowwer impact sensitivity than Sb2S3/KClO3.

ellern quotes mixtures of pot chlorate and lead thiocyanate.
however, solubility of copper thiocyanate is orders of magnitude lower than the lead salt, so may be preferable.

...........always collecting formula................

dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users