285 replies to this topic

#16 Matt

Matt

Another Aussie Trying To take Over

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 02:33 AM

Well thats what a company i know does :rolleyes: hehe.
AMPS just chuck their Al in an express post bag, im not sure how legal that is. Most chem suppliers make you pay $20 hazmat for most strong oxidisers however i think you can get away with it. Customs only get picky with international mail.
I say put everything through express bags and possibly wrap in plastic if your paranoid about post shops having BP sniffer dogs hehe.

-Matt
Try to run! try to hide! Break on through to the other side!! YYYEEEAAAAOOHHHHHHHHAAAAHHHHHHHH

#17 Lil_Guppy

Lil_Guppy

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 07:09 AM

Lol, I thought the whole ExpressPost bag thing was strange. I thought they would have at least had to of had some sort of warning on it. Even stranger was when DSE shipped out 5 cylinders of butane to me in a standard post bag, THAT isnt legal :P But anyway, as for posting stuff like fuse I dont see any problem with it, and as Matt said, most companies do it anyway. Larger items (like a 100 meter roll of fuse ;):P) would most likely need to be packed in a box (duh).
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI!

#18 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 10:09 AM

AMPS just chuck their Al in an express post bag, im not sure how legal that is.

AMPS told me on friday that the flake I've ordered will cost $25 to ship because it is a hazmat.

I gather that means it won't just be shoved in an express bag?

It is also $40/kg!

I've also ordered from 4-6 um zinc which should be bloody near dark Al flash if used with sulfur and perchlorate. The last zinc I got was -200 mesh and while quite reactive was still pretty grainy. Made good spreaders though.

#19 Matt

Matt

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 10:20 AM

They have flake!!!!??!?!?!?! hmmmm...

Kinda off topic but heres a video of a 2 inch glitter shell i made recently, spose i could relate it to this in the way of you can make this glitter with AMPS -325# spher Al....

2 inch glitter shell
dont mind me tappin into your bandwidth do you Alan?

Im all exited with all these aussie pyro's poppin' up everywhere :D

-Matt
Try to run! try to hide! Break on through to the other side!! YYYEEEAAAAOOHHHHHHHHAAAAHHHHHHHH

#20 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 10:24 AM

Can I just go down the post office and mail some fuse in an envelope?

Well if someone would put a few metres of fuse in a bag for me I'd be glad to do the same with a few hundred grams of potassium perchlorate, a tablespoon or two of spherical titanium or perhaps a fist full of magnesium turnings. :-)

#21 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 10:34 AM

They have flake!!!!??!?!?!?! hmmmm...

Yep, it took some careful questioning of poor Helen, but eventually I got out of her that they carry a bright flake. Better than nothing I figure, I'll tell you how it performs. I believe it is the same stuff the blokes at Wizardry Pyrotechnics used to make the flashpots we did that night.

dont mind me tappin into your bandwidth do you Alan?

Nope, not at all.

Im all exited with all these aussie pyro's poppin' up everywhere :D

Absoutely, although I wonder how long it will be before the Poms start groaning. :D

#22 Matt

Matt

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 10:45 AM

Well I suppose it does make sense, seeing as they do state that they cater for pyrotechnics and explosives.

Have you asked green river rifle works for fuse? I think they are out of stock atm. Type "green canon fuse" into aussie google, I'm pretty sure there is another place that sells it.

-Matt

#23 Lil_Guppy

Lil_Guppy

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 01:56 AM

Ok, according to two suppliers that sell cannon fuse (from the decriptions they gave I'm assuming that its visco) they are able to post. They still may require some sort of warning on the package, but it is still possible to send it via Aust. Post. And before anyone says 'well you have two suppliers, why are you looking for more', I would rather fork out a large sum of money now and get a large amount of the fuse, instead of forking out money every month or so just to keep my supplies up as the two suppliers only sell in short lengths. Doing it that way would also save a tonne because its kind of a bulk buy, and it would also save in postage and handling.

It may be a little off topic, but it still has something to do with chems. I have found that medical supply outlets (the ones open to the public) are a treasure trove when it comes to storage containers. At the moment I am using 600mL sharps containers to store most of my chemicals. They are tough and durable, which is good. Probably too thin to use in a ball mill situation unfortunately :(

Im all exited with all these aussie pyro's poppin' up everywhere

I actually find it somewhat amusing that there are Aussie pyros on what at first look is a UK forum ;):P

Edited by Lil_Guppy, 02 February 2004 - 01:59 AM.

#24 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 06:14 AM

It may be a little off topic, but it still has something to do with chems. I have found that medical supply outlets (the ones open to the public) are a treasure trove when it comes to storage containers. At the moment I am using 600mL sharps containers to store most of my chemicals. They are tough and durable, which is good. Probably too thin to use in a ball mill situation unfortunately :(

I love my 75 ml jars, I bought a whole case of them, some insane amount like 500 or something for $30. They are PP so they resist just about everything even organic solvents, they match my mill for milling really small quantities and they are the perfect size for storage of small quantities of compositions.

I actually find it somewhat amusing that there are Aussie pyros on what at first look is a UK forum ;):P

There are virtually no Australian resources for pyro *at all*, even one UK pyro periodical "Fireworks" carries "Antipodean Jottings" an Australian intrest column for lack of something more appropriate locally. I was considering suscribing to read it, especially when I saw the bylines of a previous articles:

"Attempts to stamp out fireworks in Australia unsuccessful - might just as well legalise them"
"Fireworks are illegal in Australia, so they're aren't any are there? Don't make us laugh!"
"Fireworks illegal in Australia - don't worry, just don't put your correct name and address"
"Australian traders still flout the firework ban"
"Firework ban in Australia - just ignored"

etc

Edited by alany, 02 February 2004 - 06:22 AM.

#25 Aussie Pyro King

Aussie Pyro King

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 10:23 AM

Edited by Aussie Pyro King, 01 March 2015 - 05:02 AM.

#26 Lil_Guppy

Lil_Guppy

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 01:15 AM

Aussie Pyro King: Check you PM, I left you a message there.

It seems that most if not all fireworks suppliers are affected by shipping problems. Most likely do to stupid morons blowing up cars. As if they are going to use visco :rolleyes: The funny thing is though that the suppliers for cannon fuse (black powder firearms suppliers) are still able to ship it with no problems. IMO thats just plain stupid.

Mindless Sheeple: OMG... Fireworks. Run away! RUN AWAY!!! Oh look, firearms componenets that are identical to fireworks components, who cares about that :P

Aaaaanyway, kinda back on topic. Has anyone experimented with making charcoal from various Australian soft-woods (paperbark etc) and if so, how did it go?

Edited by Lil_Guppy, 03 February 2004 - 01:16 AM.

#27 bernie

bernie

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 02:31 AM

Paper bark ? Does this tree smell like rotten potatoes when it blooms? Is the bark similar to balsa wood? Melaleleuca quinquenervia perhaps?

The darned things are a scurge in my parts. I think it would be worth a try to make charcoal out of the bark. Bet it wouldn't take very long either. I'm going to give it a try the very next time I spot one.

Edited by bernie, 03 February 2004 - 02:52 AM.

#28 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 02:44 AM

Paper bark ? Does this tree smell like rotten potatoes when it blooms? Is the bark similar to balsa wood?

http://www.users.big.../Melaleuca2.htm
http://www.hktree.co...erbark_Tree.htm

Their bark is a layered, densly woven mat of fibres. It peels off just like paper and you can wrap things in it, or even write on it like paper. Its bark is very rich in tannins and you can make tea with it, but it is pretty strong stuff, said to have healing powers, like the oil that is extracted from it commercially. It would probably offer a really good yield of gallol if you wanted to make some ink or pyrogallol if you wanted some photographic developer. Fishermen used to use it to preserve their nets.

#29 Aussie Pyro King

Aussie Pyro King

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 07:17 AM

Edited by Aussie Pyro King, 01 March 2015 - 05:02 AM.

#30 Lil_Guppy

Lil_Guppy

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 07:40 AM

Sounds like me trying to find bulk KMnO4 lol. But anyway, I found my bag at a large gardening (nursery) store that caters for my area. If none of the nurseries in your area stock it, there should be some sort of farm supply place in the area that may have it, or at least can point you in the right direction. When I purchased my bag, I was not asked any questions with regards for its intended use, but I still went prepared with a few legitimate reasons for having it in case I was queried about it. I also made sure I knew a few of the brands so I could ask for them rather than 'Do you have potassium nitrate'. The brand that I found was Kemira Grow-How horticultural grade potassium nitrate. There may be brands that are more pure, I don't know as this is the only brand I have tried. Perhaps another forum member could give their opinions with regards to the brands and their quality.

Edited by Lil_Guppy, 03 February 2004 - 07:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users