18 replies to this topic

#1 Zebra

Zebra

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:00 PM

Hello, and thanks for reading.

I will start by telling you my ideal life plan - So I bump into someone on the street (or here) and they say ''hey you look like an awesome gal' fancy being trained up to do pyro?'' and I say yes that would be great thanks, I get trained up, travel the world for a while doing stage pyro then after a while move into film pyro, then I live happily ever after. Great :)

....Buuuuut unfortunatly the world doesn't always work like that, so I would love it if I could get some useful advice from you guys.
I've started out by asking everyone I know if they know anyone that knows anyone that knows anyone.... not much sucess. Then I started emailing around pyro companies, but I would hazard a guess they get alot of emails from people asking for the very same thing.

So I would like to know how you guys got to where you are?
I've been looking into the courses around but they don't really seem like they give you that much knowledge, they all seem to be focused on small areas, unless your willing to do a 4 year uni course.

All advice would be much appreciated, thanks. :D

#2 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:14 PM

I would suggest that you go and knock on the door of your nearest companies or phone them. Display companies that is. Be prepared to work for free or very little initially. As you say, they probably get many e-mails. E-mails are an easy option.

This is the right time to do it as their busiest times are weeks away. Try to help on displays (if they agree) in the very immediate future, as they will not want to be showing someone the ropes on the 5th when they have ten displays on the same day and the world beating at their door asking for fireworks.

Don't be disappointed if you get some rejection initially.

Oh and be prepared to swing a sledgehammer in the rain and maybe experience a few impatient frayed tempers at the busiest times. It happens and some people carry a lot of responsibility on their shoulders to make sure the show is safe, spectacular and ready on time, sometimes in unpleasant weather conditions.

Having said all of that, when you get to see the fruits of your labours filling the skies with colour and sound, everything else is a minor inconvenience.

Indoor pyro is potentially more hazardous in some ways as people and flammables are often in fairly close proximity. I would suggest displays first to get an understnding of what's involved and work onto stage and FX pyro a bit later.

Most of all good luck with it all :)
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#3 Atom Fireworks

Atom Fireworks

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:35 AM

As mortar tube said, time and patience. I started out a few years ago coming to this very forum with the same sort of questions as you, Now i am about to start my first year as my own company so it is doable you just need to be patient, volounteer your time and get to know as many people as you can. The doors will open in due course if you want it bad enough.

Jay

#4 dogsbody

dogsbody

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:54 PM

might also be useful to put up here where you are as there are people from display companies on here

#5 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:35 PM

My Psychic abilities tell me she's in Lancashire..........err or I might have looked at her profile.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#6 exat808

exat808

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:43 PM

The film/tv SFX industry can be notoriously difficult to enter. check the online credits for films and search out the SFX producers then do the email/ writing bit.
speaking with my Explosive Engineers hat on we do run tailor made courses for the industry usually once per year ( you have just missed the last one by a month). These courses will get you a professional qualification as a member or associate of the Institute of Explosives Engineers and they also provide a valuable networking occasion too.
As previous posts have suggested - contact firework display operators too. Be prepared to give your time freely rigging displays to gain experience there.
Keep your eyes peeled on these forums. UKPS has run a very succesful SFX intro course earlier his year. If there is demand then another may follow.

#7 Zebra

Zebra

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:53 PM

Hi, thank you all for your replies and advice, much appreciated.

I'm fully prepaired to work slave labour for a while so long as it gets me where I want to be, rather do something I enjoy for free than get paid to be depressed lol.
Yes I am from Lancashire from a small town near Burnley, but willing to travel around and even relocate.

exat808- Will that course be the same time next year then?

Right, time to go knock on doors and tell people how much they need me in their lives lol ;)

#8 Atom Fireworks

Atom Fireworks

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:28 AM

Hi, thank you all for your replies and advice, much appreciated.

I'm fully prepaired to work slave labour for a while so long as it gets me where I want to be, rather do something I enjoy for free than get paid to be depressed lol.
Yes I am from Lancashire from a small town near Burnley, but willing to travel around and even relocate.

exat808- Will that course be the same time next year then?

Right, time to go knock on doors and tell people how much they need me in their lives lol ;)

Spoken like a true women pmsl :P

#9 Zebra

Zebra

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:58 PM

Spoken like a true women pmsl :P

Ha ha ha what?! Its true! Everyone should have me in their lives I'm awesome lol ;) :lol:

#10 Zebra

Zebra

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:02 PM

PS can anyone reccomend some books that might be helpful so I can get some theory knowledge before trying it in practice, I've had a look around but most of the books seem to be about building fireworks which I'm not ready to do or they cost a few hundred pounds which I refuse to spend on a book :/

#11 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:18 PM

You may have to write that book!
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#12 Zebra

Zebra

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:26 PM

Ha ha had a librarian say that to me today lol

#13 exat808

exat808

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:37 PM

PS can anyone reccomend some books that might be helpful so I can get some theory knowledge before trying it in practice, I've had a look around but most of the books seem to be about building fireworks which I'm not ready to do or they cost a few hundred pounds which I refuse to spend on a book :/

for the general theories behind all explosives try -

http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/1857532554

It may be cheaper elsewhere.

#14 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:04 AM

Notes on the correct use of explosive articles inc fireworks and Articles pyrotechnic to produce safe reliable and artistically interesting displays do not exist as far as I can see.

I can find lots of books about the construction of fireworks and other explosive articles and substances but perhaps someone will write the definitive text on the correct, lawful and artistically pleasing use of "fireworks".

http://www.abebooks....fireworks&sts=t
Or get the ISBN for your bookseller or see if Kimbolton have the 4th edition in stock
http://www.abebooks....ciety chemistry

http://www.abebooks....fireworks&sts=t
Interesting old book of the history.

Perhaps the course notes from the BPA or the Illuminate consult or the ASP courses will partly fill the gap for a book on how to USE fireworks without the how to make fireworks
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#15 scjb

scjb

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:07 AM

That book has been around for years. Keep an eye out for "The Fireworks Manual" by Jon Adams. It's a little old now (1990's) but has a lot of good info on display practices and aesthetics. It may still be available from the author at Pyro Tech - The Fireworks Manual.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users