Rhodri

One of the gang!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 04:39 PM

Hi there!

Following on from italteen3's post.....

-----> miniskinny: What problems do you have or envisage having using BP as a lift agent?

:unsure:
Making light, sound and good conversation.

#17 miniskinny

miniskinny

Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 01:44 AM

well, I have had problems with putting in too much lifting charge, (I'm not sure precisely how much I put in) and having the shell getting partially shattered. I have only used home-made shells (about 2-5 layers of cardboard, wetted down, and molded into a customary shell-shape), 3 inches in size. I have never actually put any mixture into them for the reason of them getting shattered, safety first!
Thanks for addressing my problem Rhodri,
mini
When one plays with fire, one is bound to get burndt.

#18 Yugen-biki

Yugen-biki

Pyro is forever

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 08:55 AM

well, I have had problems with putting in too much lifting charge, (I'm not sure precisely how much I put in) and having the shell getting partially shattered. I have only used home-made shells (about 2-5 layers of cardboard, wetted down, and molded into a customary shell-shape), 3 inches in size. I have never actually put any mixture into them for the reason of them getting shattered, safety first!
Thanks for addressing my problem Rhodri,
mini

View Post

Do you paste your shells (glue on paper straps in layers on the shell)? And how many layers?
10-15 layers of kraft paper is how many you need (3" shells). And filling yor shell with something will help to increase the strength.

The 2 shell halves I use to put togethr a shell don't need to be very thic. Maby 3-6 layer of A4 copy paper.
Posted Image

And the layer of craft paper put on (pasted on) may wary. I have found that less than 10 the shell will not function as supposed (shatter in the mortat, not spread the stars any good).
Posted Image

I have never had any problem useing BP as lift. But I have had great problems useing green powder :) .

#19 miniskinny

miniskinny

Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 08:04 PM

Thanks Yugen...I think I found my problem. I wasn't using enough paper for the shell coating. I'll start experimenting, trying to find the right amount of lift.
When one plays with fire, one is bound to get burndt.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users