21 replies to this topic

#1 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:23 PM

Any body making charcoal at the moment? I sat out side the other night with a few beers,

it was lovely just sitting there, looking at the fire and listening to the gentle roaring from the gas flame coming from my old saucepan retort.

Posted Image
Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

#2 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:24 PM

Nice :)
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#3 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:46 PM

Sounds bliss to me :)

#4 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:29 PM

I like to have a paint tin of wood cooking in the fire at home at much as possible. While a paint tin of a size that fits in the domestic fire only has enough volume to make a few hundred grams, doing it daily adds up! I now estimate that I've got charcoal for a few hundred kilos of BP :D

What wood are you cooking up there Vic?
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#5 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:13 AM

Yes. I'm using shore pine, which has proven to actually be an extremely reactive and superior quality charcoal.

#6 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:45 AM

What wood are you cooking up there Vic?

Nothing special just spruce and willow, I have already made apple that I have found is good for spark producing effects.

Edited by Vic, 24 September 2011 - 09:46 AM.

Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

#7 helix

helix

• UKPS Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:07 AM

I've been using western red cedar shingles recently and have been using that as a charcoal source.

#8 megabusa

megabusa

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:57 AM

Excellent Vic !

I love doing that on a summer evening - cooking charcoal, drinking beer & talking rubbish !!!

Apple for good sparks ? That's interesting.

Cheers,

Phil.

#9 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:59 PM

Madrona also makes good sparks.

I made something called the "Charcoal Thread" a long time ago before in hopes we could have a discussion solely about charcoal since it's something that is actually, in my own opinion, vastly more complicated than most pages and guides on black powder make it look, but that topic sank.

Some charcoals need to be overoxidized, such as ones containing lots of fats and oils, some should probably be underoxidized as they have more inorganic compounds in them naturally. I think it's worth its own discussion.

For instance, the shore pine I'm using right now, I thought at first was a bad charcoal when I tried making some 74:14:12. It bubbled and burned poorly. By that point most people would give up on it, but I started "messing around " - eventually I switched the ratios to something along the lines of 68:21:11 and with just a pile of greenmix it burned with a ferocious flash, leaving little residue on the practically unburnt piece of paper it was on.

#10 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:05 PM

Madrona also makes good sparks.I made something called the "Charcoal Thread" a long time ago before in hopes we could have a discussion solely about charcoal since it's something that is actually, in my own opinion, vastly more complicated than most pages and guides on black powder make it look, but that topic sank.Some charcoals need to be overoxidized, such as ones containing lots of fats and oils, some should probably be underoxidized as they have more inorganic compounds in them naturally. I think it's worth its own discussion.For instance, the shore pine I'm using right now, I thought at first was a bad charcoal when I tried making some 74:14:12. It bubbled and burned poorly. By that point most people would give up on it, but I started "messing around " - eventually I switched the ratios to something along the lines of 68:21:11 and with just a pile of greenmix it burned with a ferocious flash, leaving little residue on the practically unburnt piece of paper it was on.

I could not agree more, most would say charcoal is charcoal and make do with whatever they have and if it works why change it.

But charcoals and the making of is a vast subject with many subtleties and as you point out some need to be over oxidized and vice versa for some others, though I have not researched this myself.
And when you add in the binders for say a charcoal streamer star the vast difference between Dextrin and SGRS and how they burn is considerable.

I did think at one time, that we could have a forum project were we could all test different charcoals and pool our results, but how we could go about that with all the variables I do not know.
Maybe someone else has some ideas?

Edited by Vic, 26 September 2011 - 09:06 PM.

#11 Karl

Karl

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:36 AM

Was making up some Willow last night, nothing better on a cool autumn evening.

#12 Night Owl

Night Owl

Shell

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:58 PM

So was I lol :)

Was making up some Willow last night, nothing better on a cool autumn evening.

#13 megabusa

megabusa

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:55 AM

I've got a load of pine cones I made into charcoal a while ago. Not used them yet but I'm going to try them in Slow Gold this week.

#14 Night Owl

Night Owl

Shell

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:06 PM

How long from picking them from the ground can they be made into charcoal?

I've got a load of pine cones I made into charcoal a while ago. Not used them yet but I'm going to try them in Slow Gold this week.

#15 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:22 PM

I would be interested to hear how cone charcoal performs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users