10 replies to this topic

#1 exat808

exat808

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:03 PM

Announcing these lectures that are being delivered by Prof Chris Bishop.

http://research.micr...op/lectures.htm

Prof Bishop was recently a student of mine on an IExpE Explosives course. He is working hard at quite high levels to get some movement on the 100gram manufacturing issue. He is aware of UKPS and its determination in the same areas.
Perhaps his lectures are badly timed for some members - but more than appropriately timed for the general public.

#2 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:32 PM

I'm very tempted by the 1st Nov talk. Anyone care to join me?

What is the chance of getting the society AGM somewhere near to Cambridge and getting him as guest speaker.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#3 Altus

Altus

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:51 PM

Typical the two best dates for me are dates that are already booked for displays. Otherwise its a trip into London.

AGM near Cambridge with him as guest speaker sounds like a great call.

#4 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:03 PM

Thanks exat808, I did not know that Prof Chris Bishop was fighting the cause on the 100 gram manufacturing issue, it good to know that established company is on our side!

Arthur, Nov 1st royal institute lecture falls on a tuesday this year, so Im up for it!

PM me!

#5 exat808

exat808

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:34 PM

Thanks exat808, I did not know that Prof Chris Bishop was fighting the cause on the 100 gram manufacturing issue, it good to know that established company is on our side!

I have reviewed a paper that he is preparing relating to pyrotechnic demonstrations - he is passionate about the subject.

I agree that he would be a great speaker for the UKPS AGM. I am in contact with him occasionally and would be happy to act as a go between or make intro's. I would suggest acting sooner rather than later. People such as Prof Bishop have busy diaries.

#6 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:46 AM

I have reviewed a paper that he is preparing relating to pyrotechnic demonstrations - he is passionate about the subject.

I agree that he would be a great speaker for the UKPS AGM. I am in contact with him occasionally and would be happy to act as a go between or make intro's. I would suggest acting sooner rather than later. People such as Prof Bishop have busy diaries.

Is there any chance that the UKPS could view prof bishops prepared paper on pyrotechnic demonstrations?

#7 exat808

exat808

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:11 PM

Is there any chance that the UKPS could view prof bishops prepared paper on pyrotechnic demonstrations?

I will email and ask if its been published yet.

#8 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:35 AM

At the last count, there are about 68 tickets left for this lecture, is anyone going from the forum?

#9 Bob Twells

Bob Twells

UKPS Web Admin

• UKPS Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:48 AM

I'm planning to go to the Tuesday one in London, just waiting to hear from a couple of friends.

#10 Bob Twells

Bob Twells

UKPS Web Admin

• UKPS Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:06 PM

Went to see Chris' lecture last night and found it fascinating. In the spirit of the RI Christmas Lectures it was jam packed with live demos and experiments of various principles we take for granted in pyro; burn rates, confinement, colour production, noise etc.
If anyone else is heading to the Cambridge one, you're in for a treat!

Posted Image

#11 exat808

exat808

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:54 PM

Went to see Chris' lecture last night and found it fascinating. In the spirit of the RI Christmas Lectures it was jam packed with live demos and experiments of various principles we take for granted in pyro; burn rates, confinement, colour production, noise etc.
If anyone else is heading to the Cambridge one, you're in for a treat!

Glad you enjoyed it. Chris is shortly to become a member of the Institute of Explosives Engineers and is keen to work with us on outreach type projects - getting in to schools and colleges to spread the word on all things "pyro".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users