• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:14 PM

really, i have raised this concern on another forum, i didnt go about it lightly ive read of ceramic sparking but why, i mean what type of discharge and how, is it an electric discharge? do you know what type of ceramic sparks?
sorry for the questions but i feel this is important and no one seems to know.
i can at least then find out what type of ceramic they are.
thank god i have only milled one batch, though it was the best ive seen :( it was only intended for inert milling and does such a good job in no time.

dan.

I am only quoting what i have read in different articles from books etc,but i am sure i will not be the only one to advise against this.Have a look at the cyclebe media which i and others have been using for a few years with no probs.

#17 dan100

dan100

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 06:03 PM

I am only quoting what i have read in different articles from books etc,but i am sure i will not be the only one to advise against this.Have a look at the cyclebe media which i and others have been using for a few years with no probs.

i will not use it for any live comps again, i need to stock up any way i'll look into the cycleb media.

dan.

#18 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:12 PM

i will not use it for any live comps again, i need to stock up any way i'll look into the cycleb media.

dan.

Inoxia have it and i am not sure whether cooperman has it.

#19 dan100

dan100

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:28 PM

Inoxia have it and i am not sure whether cooperman has it.

i use both, i still have the lead, noisy and slow but safe, i wasnt being funny with all the questions, i have more but will conduct my own research and present my findings to the forum, i cant believe no-one worldwide [at least in my circles] knows anything other than dont do it.

dan.

#20 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:34 PM

hi dan ceramic media sparking was covered slightly a while back
firstly a link to a mill explosion using ceramic media clicky
and the thread on sparking media were the spark test consisted of banging them together in the dark :) http://www.pyrosocie...h__1#entry47822

Edited by dr thrust, 25 November 2011 - 11:35 PM.

#21 dan100

dan100

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:58 AM

thanks for the links i had seen this example and spongeburghs, quite different results.
what i want to know is why it sparks and whether it is static electric, piezo electric, ferro electric or just heat and friction [differrent ceramics will display different traits], improperly charged mills and ones with lifter bars are vulnerable to heat build up whether it be from falling impacts or between the ball friction and i think the ceramic warms quicker than lead but doubt that it passes 300 degrees momentarily, the only cases of sparking media i have come accross are examples of luminous light which is not sufficint in energy or voltage to ignite bp even duct tape displays this light if you stick it together and pull it apart fast enough IT IS a release of energy but where does it come from how is it stored and discharged.
my curiousity is only that and im not trying to justify its use just want to know why, it is not worth the risk.
i will try to make them spark by banging them together at high and low speeds [10-500fps] and try to arc electricity over/through them to see if they are able to conduct or jump a spark gap also test them for piezo electric conductivity.
from what i have learned so far ceramics that spark [ conduct or insulate] have specific uses and are quite expensive compared to cheap clay based types used in baking beans.
the tests will not be sufficient evidence that they are safe to use and i will not recommend them to anyone.

dan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users