helping to make salute manufacture "safer"

i saw the info on the apc forum

http://www.pyrotalk....Aluminum-Update

dave

#2 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:59 PM

very intresting, cooperman can u get some :)

#3 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:04 PM

Wow! I had to check the date there to make sure it wasn't April 1st. Anyone know that the chemistry is behind this?

Maxman

#4 dan100

dan100

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:55 PM

obron or bluehead al, nothing new just not well known, will do some copy and paste later when life is less demanding.

dan.

#5 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

Seems "bluehead" is something like a mix of dark Al + atomised, seems logical that if the dark flake content is low enough it will be less sensitive. Given enough confinement seriously coarse Al + perc will go bang, remember the CHAF video of the container of waterfall sticks ??? ;)
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#6 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:22 PM

Bluehead aluminum is still all flake. It's an intermediate grade between blackhead and 809, which is dark american. 809 is about -325 mesh, about the dark analogue to bright flake Al. Since american dark is about 30-40 microns, and blackhead is in the 2-8 micron range, I'd bet bluehead is on the order of 20-25 microns or so. I don't know of any effects that were designed for bluehead, but some have speculated that using a mixture of american dark and blackhead will give an approximate blue head. It may just be a slightly tamer aluminum for flash.

Even flash made with american dark will light up on the ground for what it's worth. Word on the street is that this "blue aluminum" is actually just a relatively fine atomized grade. I really don't know how much safer it is, and we probably wont get any ideas until it more thoroughly makes it's way out to the hobby market. They claim it will offer cost savings, but that is not true given some prices I've seen.

Blue aluminum is definitely not just rebranded blue head. Don't let the name confuse you. Blue head just refers to the color of the top of the drum. Similarly blackhead has a black top, and yellow head has a yellow top. I've seen pictures and videos of it. The "blue aluminum" is a light grey powder, with a kind of bluish tint. It looks exactly like atomized Al, and seems to behave like it with it's flow properties. Blue head will be a dark steel grey and clearly behave like flake

#7 www.oliverbrown.co.uk

www.oliverbrown.co.uk

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:22 PM

Does this come from a certain country or is it generally available, not seen it on any of my suppliers lists?
http://www.oliverbro...o.uk/index.html Pyrotechnic supplies and tooling

#8 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:26 PM

iv just got the email address of the source so watch this space

#9 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

From one of the YouTube channels I'm subbed to,

Edited by dr thrust, 19 January 2013 - 11:34 PM.

#10 Atom Fireworks

Atom Fireworks

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

Surely that can not be right in the video? Has anyone got any and actually tested this first hand?

#11 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

Yup Ive got some but not tested it yet

#12 barnsley-mark

barnsley-mark

Why did I try that?

• UKPS Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

I'm intrigued - fairly safe flash? And how much containment is required? Does it need ramming/packing?

#13 Sparky

Sparky

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

I'm the same as Phil, I've got 200g but not fully tested it yet. From one small test I do know already that it does not ignite from a naked flame or when open and with a piece of blackmatch. I understand that even confined it needs a hot primer or fuse, I have tested and know that a simple visco fuse is not enough to light a firecracker size test. I'm thinking a spollette with a hot burning comp may be required or you may need to add some sulphur to the usual al/KCOL4 mix to sensitise slightly.

I will do  a small test with a hot comp in a spollette this weekend I think.

#14 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

normaly in flash salutes some air space is allowed to make a deeper bang / build up the pressure so does that mean you cant do this using blue aliminium as it needs to be confined.

all of this dont matter i suppose as its so pricy to get it in in uk we wont see it being imported. unless anyone would like to get a containers worth.

#15 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Oliver Brown is advertising this over at APC. I would reserve judgement before doing proper tests, but it does appear that it can ignite from visco, in the open. I believe Nitroparis are stocking it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users