#1 fire fingers

fire fingers

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

Hi Guys,

****NOOBIE ALERT**** :unsure:

A question that has always puzzled of which i have not wanted to test! What is the true stability of flashpowder for example the mix i use is:

7 parts KCLO3 + 3 parts AL2O3 (Dark pyro grade)

for a bigger report i use

2 parts KCLO3 + 1 part AL2O3

Ive heard people say that flashpowder is so sensitive it can literally blow up from the slightest of things, but are these people just being paranoid or can i put flashpowder in a tube (1 - 5 grams) and chuck it about the house? (not that i would, just as a figure of speech)

Any responses much appreciated

Reason im asking is that when ever i make firecrackers, i walk down to the park to test them but people passing me must think that i have something seriously wrong with me because i walk with the flashpowder in my left hand outstretched in front of me! :P

#2 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

Yep defo noob

are you sure there is such a thing as Al2O3 dark pyro grade?

Chlorate flash mixes are best avoided as there is no need to take such a large risk. There are cultures that use them, but they have more accidents than those that don't.

Edited by digger, 27 April 2012 - 06:52 PM.

Phew that was close.

#3 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:59 PM

Yes Noob! First post on flash!

Flash is sensitive and powerful, it's a bad place to start pyro, and with equations like yours pyro chemistry is probably not really your subject.

Read the forum and several respected text books -buy the real book, Take a year to learn about pyro before you put your life and liberty at risk. Learn to play the piano -it gives you a reason to respect your fingers and what they can do.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#4 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:42 PM

Noob you may be but I think it really appropriate to point out immediately that testing of any "home made" device in a public park is illegal, dangerous and liable to get you sat down to answer some very uncomfortable questions indeed.

How about a friendlier approach to try and steer this fellow towards good, PLEASE read a lot on here and work out yourself what you’re doing wrong without us doing it at you. It’s a far better way to learn the ways and bangs are definitely not the start.

Please behave sensibly is all we can ask.

#5 Sparky

Sparky

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

Sorry but as soon as I read "Reason im asking is that when ever i make firecrackers, i walk down to the park to test them but people passing me must think that i have something seriously wrong with me because i walk with the flashpowder in my left hand outstretched in front of me!" I groaned inwardly. I'm a noob and I'm sorry this is a very strangely worded post, sorry to the OP but it was :-) You sound young and looking to make loud bangs but are nervous about safety which your only saving grace.

Unfortunately even the most sensible pyro noob is going to want to make flash at first and see just how loud it is and how easy. Aren't we better off encouraging them to make the safest forms, in a responsible way so they can get that out of their system asap? I can't see how saying no don't do it is going to make any difference to whether they do or don't.

#6 fire fingers

fire fingers

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

flipping heck when i said that i was a noob i meant to the froum, in terms of pyro ive actually just started a pyro apprenticeship in glasgow,

but wow this must be one of the most unwelcoming forums i have ever visited, instead of being smart asses and telling what i am or am not, you could have just answered the question, ie 'flash powder is highly unstable and sensitive with that mixture' etc etc.

and to the retard that this im a young boy trying to make loud noises, yes flashpowder makes loud noises, but when you apply those loud noises to different pyro effects it goes well, so unless you prefer silent fireworks i suggest you go sit in a dark corner and eat a fruit cake.

#7 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:26 PM

Your activities and their context may land you in a lot of trouble. It may seem harsh, but the advice in this thread is good and you should take note.

#8 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

I think what the others are trying to say is if you had missed out the " walk down to the park to test them" and " and chuck it about the house" it would have been completely different.

In this last year there has been over 6 police raids on people making pyro, they didn’t get raided because they was doing it by the book but because neighbours or members of the pubic called the police due to noise disturbance or because they thought they were a terrorist.

setting of even legal fireworks in a public area will get fined or arrested. Being caught in public with homemade fireworks could get you jail time.

by all means try out flash its safe if done correctly but there is an exception to that rule Chlorate flash mixes are best avoided as they are not worth it.

flash can be set off by friction / static (I’m sure everyone at some point has tried putting a tiny bit on a hard surface and tap it with a hammer.) it requires a lot of respect but it can be safe.

By all means enjoy the hobby but keep your head down and find a some privet land away from people so you can do it safe and not bring attention to yourself.

Edited by PyroPDC, 02 May 2012 - 05:04 PM.

#9 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:10 PM

I can see how you could of come to your opinion of us,but if you stick around you will see that we are far from a bunch of elitist a-- h---,but a bunch of good to know pyro,s,come to the agm etc and you will very quickly change your mind.

Anyway wellcome to the forum and hope to see you stick around,

#10 Sparky

Sparky

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:56 AM

Just don't bring any flash held at arms length while looking like a mental person... Posted Image

JOKING! Posted Image

Apologies if I read you all wrong, I meant no offence.

#11 Evails The Red Button

Evails The Red Button

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

Yes I would like to know. I have not done anything with flash yet and only recently heard of the stability question. Any articles,facts,keywords worth pointing out?

#12 Sparky

Sparky

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:58 AM

Why the obsession with flash??? Why not make a really awesome fountain first. They are fun, relatively safe and will only delight neighbours and not prompt them into phoning the police.

#13 barnsley-mark

barnsley-mark

Why did I try that?

• UKPS Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:48 AM

Sparky, you know everyone needs to make a bang just to get it out of their system then move onto visual and technical stuff.On a serious note Evails, flash powder can be evil and unpredictable! If in doubt leave it alone until someone shows you

#14 Evails The Red Button

Evails The Red Button

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:28 PM

I have no obsession. I have been kept busy with BP. Done some bangs,smoke,stink,unexpected 1 sec fountain. I am not rushing. I was just asking for any good reading?

#15 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:54 PM

Some dummy appears to be selling flash on ebay.
I hope it's not anyone from here, that would make a mockery of all Waynes hard work.
Yo Ho Ho, a pyro's life for me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users